Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Direct X 9

I have seen several posts about Direct X 9..where can I get it? I have direct X 8.2 from CFS3 and I want to get 9.0 installed ASAP and get rid of 8.2.. Thanks for any assistance..MIke Hayden

Microsoft Windows update. I think I got it there. If not, that's a good place to start.Brian

I read on flightsim.com that fs2k2 only uses dx8.1 and would not benefit from 9 anyway. Is this trueregards Keith

>I read on flightsim.com that fs2k2 only uses dx8.1 and would >not benefit from 9 anyway. Is this true No, it isn't, but it certainly wouldn't benefit from DX9.In response to some questions about resolution limitations, Peter Dowson (of FSUIPC fame)received confirmation from the MS team that it is in fact DX7 based (and I seem to recall this is what is on the CD). MS wrote:"The resolution is limited by the DirectX 7 APIs used within the current version of Flight Simulator. This limitation is within the FS graphics pipeline and upgrading versions of DirectX on your computer will not fix the problem. We still use the DirectX7 APIs. DirectX 7 APIs were all that was available when FS2002 was developed,"

Guest jase439

The final bits for DX9 are expected any day now according to several websites. You might want to wait before upgrading.Good to see you again, Mike ;-)J

J, Thanks..I will wait a few more days...I can use multiplayer on the VATSIM network as long as I uncheck send/receive airaft details. I was reading from previous posts that direct x 9 seems to make FS2K2 run smoother and the textures are improved. I was trying to get input from those who have had expierence from that.. Good to hear fom you too. Keep in touch..Mike>>The final bits for DX9 are expected any day now according to >several websites. You might want to wait before upgrading. >>Good to see you again, Mike ;-) >>J

Guest jase439

Depends who you talk to and what you read. Some sources (including Microsoft) cite that DX9 addresses bugs and improves performance in code that is shared by both DX8 and DX9 - giving improved quality and performance to apps written for both (I know of no game written exclusively for DX9 just yet...the always-yet-to-be-released Doom III perhaps). Others cite sources (also including Microsoft apparently) that DX9 introduces ONLY new features and does not include bug fixes nor performance enhancements of any kind to anything related to DX8 and that to take advantage of any bug fixes or performance upgrades, one would need DX9-enabled hardware and drivers in addition to software written exclusively for the DirectX 9 platform.Who is right? I don't know. Try it and see is the best advice I can give and realize that your mileage may vary :) I had favorable results with it. It may be that installing DX9 is akin to washing your car and having it run better, but I am not personally sold on the argument that there is nothing to be gained from installing it.Following Winds, Bud.JPS. For what it's worth the DX8 binaries have been 'changed' in DX9. They are not the same DX8 binaries you will find in 8.2. It may be those changes are all ancillary support services for DX9 - I don't know, or it may be that the DX8 binaries do, in fact, include some bug fixes.