Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

Flatten switches - Denver region

Does anyone have flatten switches for DIA, Centennial, Jeffco, Buckley and CO. Springs? I just installed the FS Genesis Landclass Beta over my 32 meter mesh and flying in that part of the Front Range is a new experience. Would love to get the airports off their artificial mesas now. Thanks!Colincwr737@yahoo.com

Guest jase439

You shouldn't need flatten switches unless you are using old 3rd party scenery BGL's for these airports. The default FS2002 airports should all be "self-flattening".

Guest sgreenwood

Colin, I don't believe flatten switches will help you with this. In the few cases I've tested, they adjusted the terrain elevation and some of the airport, but left the runways at their original elevation.See www.fs-traveler.com/flatten.html if you would like to try some of your own. My toolkit will help you create flatten bgl files, which work the same way but are more flexible.Regards,Steve

Guest bfindlay

I went to that page and looked through it - it seems to be specific to designed airports. I am flying in the Yukon, using FSGenesis's 70M terrain, and many of the lakes are in raised 'tubs'. I would like to flatten them down to the surrounding level, but don't know how to do that!Suggestions?

Guest jase439

You could create a flatten poly for a geographic area around the lake, or you could create a custom DEM mesh with the uniform elevations you want. Either way you're looking at a tool like Airport or A&SD to do this.J

Guest sgreenwood

Interesting question. I have not tried to use it to adjust the elevation of a lake. While the information I provide is oriented towards fixing problems with airports, the bgl file created simply sets the elevation for the enclosed area to the value you specify. Lakes have more complex boundaries, so I suggest a simple test with just 4 points well outside the perimeter of the lake to see what happens. If this works, you can refine the definition of the area by adding more points. If it does not work, there is probably no simple solution. There are discussions in the Scenery Design Forum that address the correction of coastlnes, and these usually include elevation issues. There seems to be some progress in these efforts, but no quick fixes.Let us know the results if you decide to the flatten bgl appproach.Good luck,Steve

Guest sgreenwood

> you could create a custom DEM mesh with the uniform elevations you >want. Either way you're looking at a tool like Airport or A&SD to do >this.Not necessarily, if a (DEM mesh) bgl file will solve the problem at all. I assembled my solution to create flatten bgl files (essentially custom dem mesh files at a uniform elevation) after learning how to do so with Airport. I automatically create and assemble the same SCASM code as Airport does, but with a much simpler and more efficient interface than Airport, which is really overkill if this is all you need it for.Of course, once you learn how to use Airport, you can do a great deal more with it. :)Regards,Steve