Sign in to follow this  

Anyone from Fort Collins CO?

I have a chance to move there (job opportunity) and just can't make the decision. You just might be able to push me over the edge either way! ;-)David

David If you have a job offer here by all means go for it!Colorado and the front range is Heaven. It's just a beautiful,beautiful state.I was born in NYC and raised in Hastings/Yonkers N.Y.I came out here to visit a shirt tail relation of the family and stayed.Met and married a Nebraska ranchers daughter. We weremarried in Fort Collins. That was 38 years ago.There is so much to do here. You'll love the mountainssummer and winter.

Thanks Dave! I'm from Central NY, which is beautiful but has god-awful weather (or so I'm really noticing now that my PPL is dragging on and on ;-)). The Colorado economy seems to be pretty messed up but I guess that is true of most places right now. I have until next Wednesday to decide. I'll keep you posted!David

I used to live in Estes Park, CO which is just up the road to the west in the mountains from Ft. Collins - it's a beautiful place, but up in the mountains at least, the high wind during the winter became totally unbearable - I doubt that would be a problem in Ft. Collins tho... You're not far from Denver either (maybe an hour and a half on I-25) so there's lots to do...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I've lived in both Central NY and near Ft. Collins and I can say the biggest difference is you get WAY more sunny days in Colorado. The clouds just seem to hang around in the east. Both places are nice though, good luck with your decision.Of course the mountains can make their own weather. Especially in the spring and summer when you get clear mornings, afternoon thunderstorms and clear evenings...rinse and repeat.

Guest SoarPics

I can add to everybody's recommendation. I've never lived in Ft. Collins, but I've spent some time there over the past 8 years (with a customer of my business). It's a beautiful place, the residents have always been friendly and warm, and the weather won't bore you (I like your description of spring and summer, Thaeller... rinse and repeat is the perfect description).Regards,

I lived in Denver for two years and still miss it greatly. Cost of living is good. There is lots to do, especially if you like the outdoors. Ft. Collins is a University Town so there will be some good places to eat, bookstores, pubs and coffee houses. Weather is good, but very hot in the summer. Winters are quite bearable. Average temp in the winter months in Denver is 40 degrees. The region can get a lot of snow, but it often doesn't last because of the altitude and mild weather. If you like thunderstorms, it's a great place to watch them gather over the plains in the summer. It is very brown in the winter months which some people find depressing. Politically, Denver, Boulder and Ft. Collins are moderate to very liberal areas in an otherwise very conservative state (which is somewhat ironic since many of the "conservatives" earn their living on the backs of Federal grazing permits and farm subsidies - read "Cadilac Desert" for a real eye-opener about the real cost of agriculture in the high deserts of the South West...you want to talk about corporate welfare!).If you like spectator sports, you will be in heaven. Denver has four major league sports teams (hockey, hoops, baseball and football), CU and CSU are both good football schools and you can even drive down to Colorado Springs for the Air Force Academy as well. Colorado is right up there with Oregon in number and quality of micro-breweries in the state. Oregon has better wine though! The quality of the beers available is just outstanding. Denver is a good theatre town, being both a regular stop on the Broadway road circuit as well as home to a truly outstanding regional theatre company (arguably the best cultural organization in the region). Decent art museum, very large natural history and science museum, acceptable symphony plus a failing aquarium. It's a great place to live. Good time to move as well. The greater Denver area is one of the top three markets in the country in terms of job loss. The housing market should be soft. Good luck. Colin

Colin's commments are so correct.I moved here from NYC about 8 years ago. I live in a suburb of Denver to the northwest. I am about 20 miles from FT Collins. I would never leave this great state. As I look out the deck on my house I have the most awsome view of the front range snow capped mountains. Living in Ft Collins you can view Long's Peek with its 14000 foot views.However the entire front range from Ft.Collins south through Denver and on to Colorado Springs is just awesome. I alos love to ski and you just can't get any better than the world class ski resorts here.Once when standing at the very top of Vail I looked at the Gore Creek range and commented to a friend, that God smiled when this place was formed. This is just awesome country.Come here if you love beautiful scenery and great people.CheersBob JohnsonWestminster, CO

I've been there, done that. Nice town, I hurt my knee tubing in pueblo canyon. LOL Club town of Colorado.

Not one bad thing said about the place! Thank you for all the thoughtful and enthusiastic responses. At this point we are definitely leaning in that direction. My wife is still a bit concerned because she is a high school chemistry teacher and hasn't found any job leads yet but it is a big enough area that I'm sure something will turn up. Thanks again everyone!David

I lived in Ft. Collins for 6 years while I was getting my degrees. Get ready for some overcrowding. The place itself is beautiful, and they're right to say there's lots to do, but be careful where you choose to live to allow for traffic hassles. It's a town that's bursting its britches, and growth is rampant. I loved living there, despite all of that, though. Good luck to you! And by the way, the folks over at the FBO at Ft Collins Downtown are the best, check them out. -John

I have a family that currently lives in Fort Collins. It's a really nice town! Very pretty, very friendly. If you decide take the job, I think you'll be happy.

Guest Philip Olson

No don't go, it is a horrible place to live! I spent 28 years in Colorado and I could not get out fast enough, I now live in Ohio. Now I do not have to wake up and look at those horrible mountains, I don't have the best ski resorts in the world a short drive from my house, no mild winters and summers, low humidity, nice people, beautiful untouched lakes, rivers and steams, great sports teams, camping, hiking and picnicing under beautiful, fragrant pines, etc, etc. Don't tell anyone but I am trying to keep people from learning the secrets of Colorado and they will not move there. ;) Now to be serious, go, you will not regret your decision! Your wife should be able to find a teaching position, I know that they are short science teachers in many areas in Colorado. I keep up on this because my wife is a high school science teacher as well. In fact if you email me I will try to give you some contacts to try. polson@neo.rr.com We plan to move back to Colorado sometime in the future, when my wife is ready to move away from her family. I have been all over the world and the only place that I really want to live is Colorado. I guess the combination of the people, beauty, climate and things to do is unmatched by any other place that I have been. I grew up in Colorado Springs but I spent quite a bit of time in Fort Collins due to my ex wife having family there and I really liked it, it was a vibrant college town.Good luck in making your decision and feel free to email me and I'll see about giving you a hand.Best Wishes, Philip

Philip,You sound just like one of my neighbors, PLEASE don't come to Colorado, you won't like it. There is NO room for anyone else to come (grin). You won't like the mountains, they are too high. You won't like the weather, mild winters and sime pretty nice summers with over 300 days of sunshine each year. You won't like the world class skiing, hiking and don't even talk about the rafting and all the out door things to do here. I could go on and on. This is a terrible place to live (yea right). I got my house here and I ain't never leaving (he he he)Bob JohnsonDenver

Philip and Bob,Too funny! My wife and I felt the same way when we lived in Maine. Except there we were only invaded in the summer! Philip, I appreciate your generous offer and will e-mail you directly. We'll take any tips we can! Thanks again guys. Just one more reason why I love this forum so much.David