Sign in to follow this  

Chris Arrington Textures - Very Nice

According to Chris Willis, yes the black outlines on the runway numbers and threshold can in fact be done. It just takes someone that knows how to do it. And unfortuntely I dont now how. :(I have to say though that if we could get someone to outline the numbers and threshold bars in black and combine them with Chris's (Arrington) awesome textures shown in this thread, we would be in heaven. By the way, the picture I attached in my earlier post depicting the black outlines, was taken in a real simulator. Thats not a real runway. It was taken in a CRJ full motion sim.Michael

That's interesting! Maybe, if I get some time, I'll take a look and see if I can make that happen. Right now, I'm studying for my instrument check ride. Man... talk about nervous! :)Chris

Yeah... black outlines would be a nice addition. Hopefully one of the beta testers can recomment that to Microsoft... O'Har International is an airport where the "black outlines" around numbers are especially noticeable. The gold tint is very nice. I'm sure if you all look at real runway lights at night, they are a goldish-organgish tint.. and not pure white like in FS... I was using FSW's gold runway lights, but these ones seem to work even better. I like the halo's alot.The runway skid marks are especially nice at night, when illuminated by runway lights. Definitely a treat to see during roll-out. Great work... Good luck with your checkride, I'm planning on getting my instrument ticket this summer!Sincerely,Phil Geddes

Thanks Phil!Oh,... BTW, Guess What we're going to have!!!! :7 . :-yellow1Chris

before I install this,did any-one notice any framerate-hit? it looks superb though!

No frame rate hit over here, but it did give me a case of the flickers. Then, after a few minutes of flying, I got a DirectX9.0 crash. Hmmm... I'll try again, but I may have to go back to the dreary ol' originals if my system doesn't like the new stuff. Too bad, too, 'cause it looked good. Rob DieboldPentium 4 1.6ghzGeForce2 Mx400512meg RAMYadda, yadda, yadda...:-beerchug

Ouch! ...Looks like I've got a little testing to do. Did anyone else encounter this same problem?Chris

Nope..working great here..get those files figured out yet as far as converting them from .bmp to .r8? Are we gonna get something else from looking at the picture above?

Eric 

Well, I haven't done all sorts of tests yet, so I don't know if it's a conflict with an add-on, or something else. When it happened, I was at FL310, just about 100 NM south of Oakland (flying a 735 from OAK to SNA). I noticed the flickers on the taxiway, and again on the runway (hadn't had them before I added the new stuff), but thought it might just be a "thing". Might be a quirk in my particular setup. Who knows? So I'll look again and see if I can get a handle on it. One thing I did notice is that, with the asphalt runway texture, I got lines where the texture repeated. The lines themselves weren't that noticeable, except for the fact that the skid marks don't line up. If you were to make the skid marks line up at the top and bottom of the texture, it might make for a smoother look of the asphalt runway. As for the concrete runway, I agree that the texture edge adds to the look as there should be some squaring off on the "blocks" they use. Just my .02 Kiwi cents (rounded to .05 since they don't use pennies/pence here). Rob Diebold:-beerchug

Yet another good suggestion, I'll see if I can get those skid marks lined up a little better. As for the .R8 textures, yes I have those fixed and they will be included in the new package. Who knows, that might be the key to solving the flickering issues that Rob was having.The pic above is a very early representation of an idea expressed earlier in the thread. I will be outlining some of the more prominent taxiway markings in black. This will be an option along with a few others such as, the "halo" and grooved surface effects. Unfortunately, I have found that, as a novice, the actual runway markings will be unavailable to me for alteration. Still, I think what I've got in mind will look pretty neat! :)Chris