Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erups

Darkness and blindness again.

Guest Erups

Disregard :(This time it's my temperature bugging me :)

Guest Erups

Something strange is still occurring.METAR at LIRA (departing airport) was with 6000 visib.LIRF (next airport on the route) was 8000.That's ok.But then i noticed that at FL340 i still didn't see the stars!I then cleared weather through FSUIPC "Clear weather" option, and recycled ActiveSky (not closed it down, simply clicked "refresh").Now i see stars again...That's strange don't you think?

Claudio,Does turning off TAF processing prevent the issue for you?There is a known TAF problem that is fixed, pending release, but not sure this applies in your case. Your issue appears to be that the visibility control is not correctly working to increase vis above the surface layer.Please try turning on "Depict FS9 haze layer". Does this prevent the problem? This would confirm that the vis control is indeed failing. In which case we would have to look at the WideFS setup. Please also confirm you are on the latest wideFS and FSUIPC versions just released.Thanks!!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Erups

>Does turning off TAF processing prevent the issue for you?It's the first time i noticed this.And it also took a long time to notice, as i was flying during night.I will try.But it is difficult as clearing the meteo apparently gets rid of the problem.So reproduction of the problem itself is difficult.>Please try turning on "Depict FS9 haze layer". Does this>prevent the problem? This would confirm that the vis control>is indeed failing. In which case we would have to look at the>WideFS setup. Please also confirm you are on the latest>wideFS and FSUIPC versions just released.I do not have WideFS and have still to update to newest FSUIPC.I tend to have the haze layer disabled as it creates a not so beautifull grey layer allaround.Will let you know.

Guest Erups

Damian and Jim: when i had problems, i opened up World-Weather menu and in the lower right corner i read the visibility.Is this a valid method?Or the information displayed is not consisten when using AS?I ask this because my first try today with new fsuipc but old settings, i had always 5nm while i was even able to see the ground and the sun.Then i switched off TAF and on FS Haze layer, and this happened:after finishing loading weather into FS, i had 0 visibility, then it extended until full visib and in the weather menu i had no more indication of 5nm.Then i reverted options (TAF on and Haze layer off) and i had again visib limits: at 10nm this time.Altough i can't seem to notice any visible difference: both with and without shown visibility limits, i see the sun, the ground and everything else (unless i am grouded, in that case visibility limitations are noticeable)...I can't seem to figure this out :(Edit - addendumwith TAF on and Haze OFF, in the night i don't see starswith TAF off and Haze ON, in the night i see starsAnd i do confirm that, when switching from tafon/hazeoff to tafoff/hazeon, while AS is loading info into FS, visiblity goes to 0.It goes back to infinity after AS has finished loading data.Hope this helps.

Hi,It's really hard for me to know if things are working correctly or not with no METARs. The FS weather screen is not the best place to look. Use the green text bar or use Weather Set 2, a part of the FSUIPC downloaded zip file.Sometimes making all these changes during the same flight messes things up. I would like you to try a flight with TAFs Off and Haze Off.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Erups

Here are 5 shots.In orderTAF OFF / Haze OFFTAF OFF / Haze ONTAF ON / Haze OFFTAF ON / Haze ONMy guess:there is a flow in the part of the algorythm NOT dealing with the Haze layer.This flow induces AS to set an eventual limited visibility for the whole vertical space (as you can see WeatherSet reports upper limit as more then 100000 which is not even possible as FS is limited to 100000) and NOT NOTICE when leaving reduced visibility zones.This means that, should you start with a low visib situation, AS would set the low visib till the upper limit of the atmosphere, and not notice when you leave such limited visibility zone.As to say that when you reach FL340 or go to another airport, it will not reset the visib.The last shot depicts this last situation: travelling at FL280 the visibility layer is unmodified.Hope this helps.

Guest Erups

Jim, Damian?Any words on this?

Ugh I feel like Microsoft and the patch! Damian is working to get out the most accurate update as he can.Yes, the data in Weatherset shows stuff that is inaccurate, but my question would be now: how do things look in FS?You are right, I should have posted this yesterday!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Erups

>Yes, the data in Weatherset shows stuff that is inaccurate,>but my question would be now: how do things look in FS?That depends: during day, the problem is the transition when takeing off, which is not smoother as it should.During night, you can't see stars, and have a general limited visibility.Not so strongly limited, but you don't have unlimited eighter.I am mainly concerned with this, because Damian sayed there could be something with TAF processing, while this (as my test shows) is complitely unrelated from TAF.It is only affected by Haze setting.Oh and btw this is with original FS, not patched...Hope there are no new things in the new fs, as it would mean you would have a hell of a time debuggin ;)

Hi Claudio,Everything you mentioned concerning the values displayed in WS2 and the vis layer altitudes are all correct, and this is how AS2004 can make things happen when NO VIS LAYER is depicted. We need the surface conditions to be right, but cannot have a defined layer ceiling, so we set it up past 100K. Now when leaving the surface layer (between 3k and 12k agl) we graduate the visibility up to your max setting (either via as options or fs options). This is all done by new FSUIPC direct visibility control, and not by wx station structure data (which is what you see with WS2). Since AS2004.5, WS2 is not a reliable way to ready any vis or wind data.Your only symptoms of a potential real problem that I can tell are that "smoothness is not good during day" and "no stars at night". This may be the max vis being restricted as some others have noticed, which is part of the new vis handling design with default values. To verify, set max vis up there (say 80 miles) via AS options and see if problem continues. Significant shifts between 9 and 60 miles vis are normal.The final solution may be to add another option to eliminate all new vis handling processes and go back to default FS9 handling with hard vis ceiling and no graduation. As it is now, you can depict fs9 haze layer (vis ceiling), but the graduation still takes effect and shows the harsh 9 and 60mile transitions, which many users aren't fond of.All, if you agree with these findings and conclusions let me know.. I will get started on the new option.Thanks!!

Damian Clark

Guest Erups

I am now with b145: again i do not see stars.Again WeatherSet2 and FS itself report the 5nm visibility limit.

Hi Claudio,WS2 and FS will always report the surface visibility. This is not your actual visibility which is dynamically changed by AS unless disable vis graduation is enabled.Can I get a new screenshot of this condition (set to day time so we can see the visibility rendered)? "not seeing stars" doesn't really help isolate, we need to know what the visibility is being rendered as.What is your max vis setting in AS?As Jim suggested so we are on the same page please try B146 test build at http://www.hifisim.com/AS20045-b146.zipThanks!

Damian Clark