Sign in to follow this  
Guest magick

AS2004 v4.5 teething troubles (I hope..)

Guest magick

I'm having some fun and games trying to get v4.5 working properly.problem 1 - It now takes ages to download weather from the net and ages to cycle through the weather station updates. During this time (at start of flight) there is no weather in the sim and it's impossible to change options. I realise this is a new feature, but can the number of stations downloaded be reduced? I can't see a parameter for this.problem 2 - It's a great idea to have the minimum and maximum visibility options, but changing them and checking 'force visibility levels' has no effect on the visibility. Does this feature work?RegardsJon

Guest magick

Sorry that should read 'enforce visibility limits'...

Hi Jon,How long is it taking? Normal station coverage writes should be about 1-2 minutes. In places with high coverage such as KORD it can take up to 4 minutes as reported by some users. This is limited by the speed at which FS9 can accept station data. The actual download should only take a few seconds, depending on your connection of course. We cannot reduce # of stations as this will interfere with smoothness of weather and prevention of instant cloud changes.If you'd like to change options before starting processing, set As2004 to start paused...The vis reduction feature works, but you cannot change on the fly once airborne, as new local station writes (now with the restricted vis) are being prevented by local suppression. Change this option before your flight, or, if you want to "trick" it, you can enter slew mode and refresh AS (so it thinks you are stationary/on ground and won't enable suppression).Hope that helps!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

HiI'm very pleased with new version.But can you tell me how to prevent sudden change of weather?I have normal default, except max visibility which is in my case 40nm.For example, when I load FS and after that AS, weather is OK, loaded.I know that because before AS starting I cleared weather through FSUIPC (3.40).During taxy (loww) which takes maybe 10min, weather suddenly changes (like new file is loaded!?!, it is not completely different,but position of clouds is completely changed)How to solve this, and what is the cause?Thanks in advanceEdin

Hi Edin,That's because the wx actually did change, either via new METAR information received or the wind blew the last cloud cover enough distance to need to reset the conditions back.You can use "Disable ground updates" to prevent wx changes when on ground, but you will most likely have out-dated wx at departure time (not such a big deal but we leave the option off for more accuracy by default).

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest magick

Damian,Thanks. I would say my experience is 4-6 minutes, but I am using 64k ISDN, so that could be a factor. Having played around with it more I can see the difference in the weather fronts however - it all looks more realistic, well done!The vis reduction feature is working fine for me now. As you surmised, I was changing it in AS2004 and then refreshing within the same flight and looking for the change..RegardsJon