Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

I'm not getting overcast skies anymore with AS2004.5...

I've done a couple flights to see how the new update handles overcast and I can't seem to produce anything. Once again we have the same situation we have with FS2k4 default weather where everything looks great from the ground but once you get over the haze layer you have clear skies with scattered clouds. I

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I flew out of Chicago last night and OVC was in the METAR....

FS2020 

TAF processing is enabled...

FS2020 

OK so was the TAF the active report or the METAR? Were you within the 2 mile station radius? Remember that the closest station report has a direct influence of 2 miles. After that, a number of station data are used, some of which may have OVC and some that may not.I just posted pics. in the General forum showing that overcast enhancement still does work!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Well that's all I wanted to know. If you guys say it works then I'll leave the issue alone. If no one else reports a problem then maybe it was just my unfortunate luck with this new update...Thanks Jim for looking into it... :-)

FS2020 

Guest bobsk8

I also got complete overcast going into O'Hare today. Really neat looking , complete with dark looking clouds.

Hey Jim don't bother, I flew out of Detroit today and got a wonderful overcast... I don't know what was happening for me before but the weather looks great now...THX...

FS2020 

Hi Dillon,Most likely you're just experiencing realistic variations in wx :) When an airport says its OVC, like we said, the area surrounding it is affected depending upon random and condition factors, including the wx at nearby stations.For example, let's say you're at airport KLAX and its reporting OVC. But 3 miles away at KSMO it is reporting clear. Very common in this region due to marine layer effect. Now if you weren't aware that KSMO was reporting clear you might expect OVC from KLAX in all directions. But instead FS9 sees KSMO as clear and comes up with a solution to display both weather conditions within the very limited range. Other nearby stations also effect this... The end result in this case is that skies might be scattered off to the EAST of KLAX and clear just beyond that. The area of scattered clouds might push right up against KLAX itself.It all works great, along with AS interpolation, to give this realistic effect. As a socal pilot myself, I am always amazed at how realistic this regionally differing wx is depicted. It just is not expected as I believe is what happened in your case. There are many, many more little things that we've managed to pull off in AS that make things more realistic, and we've had numerous "bug reports" or "request for change" to make it more simple and less realistic, because it is unexpected. Catch-22 with realism progress, but something we're willing to deal with! :) Gone are the days of seeing "OVC" in the destination METAR and seeing OVC your entire flight.. it just doesn't work like that in real life, and neither should it with AS ...Thanks for keeping us updated!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

No problem, AS2004.5 is an awesome add-on...

FS2020