Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Question about Active Sky

Guest aca_dia

I like what I see with the new version of the program. Once and a while I do use real world weather and that is a handy function, but most of the time I like to set specific weather for a region.With ActiveSky is it possible to quickly set low IFR conditions over a particular area? For example if I want to jump in the sim to practice some approaches in an area, is there a relatively quick way to create low overcast and visibility throughout a region?

Hi,Thanks for your interest! I will not mislead you, but no it is not easily done. You can use Online current weather or archived weather. But setting up your own conditions would not be quick. This is mainly because AS 2004 is station based and it draws conditions from multiple weather stations.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest aca_dia

How about this. If I download real weather with ActiveSky can I go in and change the METAR and or TAF at the destination airport so I will have low weather for an approach?

Hi,You can simulate IMC in a "global" sense at any time by using the visibility enforcement options (max vis 1 mile for example).You can of course edit/create your own wx file, the text format is fairly simply and if you are keen on METAR format you should have no problem. The difficult thing is in areas with several stations, they all will affect the wx so these stations either must be deleted or filled in with similar wx conditions. Regionalized custom wx setting with an easy interface is something we are working on for the future...Hope that helps!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Here's a suggestion. Build up a library of saved wx files when you observe current weather conditions you wish to use at your areas of interest.I use www.wunderground.com for airport METARS and regional radar. Put in your geographic location or airport ICAO code. Click on the show metars link in the upper left under current conditions and you'll get both.I get US radar maps here for the entire country at once:http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/dopple...ndex_large.htmlWhat I do is create of folder title description of the season, region description, and weather type. I do this after grabbing AS current weather DL and looking at the weather conditions on the radar and a couple of METARS. The I save the current weather to this folder and within the browser save the radar image (US or regional) modifying the title to include the Z time and date from the same of the downloaded weather file.This libray is then used to load the weather conditions I want in any desired flight route. Easier to do than described.