Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgreth123

strange bug

Guest jgreth123

I was sitting in PANC and loaded AS2004.5 (with latest official release etc)...Closest station: KLKH (I assume it's thinking Lake Hood, which is the name for Anchorage, and LKH is a nearby VOR). The weather was, of course, totally off due to this.Maybe PANC just wasn't in the database for that particular moment when it pulled down data? Well that shouldn't matter, hrmm... because the Closest Station calculation is done locally before it hits the update server... so what do ya think caused it?Other than this, love the program guys... outstanding improvements since ya started :)- Jeff

Hi Jeff,I'm not familiar with the area, but PANC may be right next to KLKH and at certain locations on the ground at PANC you may actually be closer to KLKH... this this part would be normal if that is the case.But the wx should not be dramatically different either way, unless the actual METARs specified such difference. If you'd like to get rid of KLKH wx you can delete the entry from your wx_station_list.txt file and it will not be considered. That may be the best solution for you, but I'd like to know what the cause of significantly different wx was... if you can identify a problem with the METAR data or the way it is handled (not depicting properly) please advise... Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian and Jeff,On a recent flight from PANC to RJAA I had the exact same thing happen. After I made the flight I did not post this bug since the new final release was done. On my return flight from RJAA to PANC I did get the proper wx station load. When I flew from PANC to KDEN again AS got the proper wx station load for PANC.PANC is a major airport in Alaska all the airports there have ICOA of PXXX, the KXXX airports are of course in the lower 48, even Honolulu International is PHNL KLKH was a total error and I think that Jeff could be correct the data feed may have been the error.Bob

Hi Bob,Thanks for the feedback..Well I'm not familiar with KLKH, but it could very well be an FS9 "pseudo" station, not neccessarily related to a real airport or wx station. There are many such pseudo stations in FS9, this is partly how they handle setting of wx in areas "between" airports. There are also many airports that share dual ID's, in which case FS9 will have 2 stations with very similar lat/lon entries. AFAIK, All US pseudo stations start with "K" even in Alaska.Perhaps KLKH is just old and not reporting valid wx? In which case removal of the station entry in wx_station_list.txt is the correct solution, and will be updated in future distributions. Can anyone confirm?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies