Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

Teething Problems(I Hope!)

Guest frankathl

(Also posted to PMDG Support Forum)Just bought and installed ActiveSky 2004.5 tonight and followed the setup instructions regarding FS and FSUIPC to the letter( AFAIK), but am experiencing what I hope are just teething problems.Active Sky is having problems downloading weather from its server. The first few times I cancelled the download because there was no activity on the line at all. After a number of tries, and a longish wait, the download seemed to work. However, I got a message saying "decompression error" when download finished. This problem also occurred when I chose the Custom (METAR) download.I realise that the above could have been caused by a poor internet connection, but I had no problem connecting to other sites, such as AVSIM.Secondly, and for me, far more seriously, I am having widespread sound problems with my beloved (he says!) PMDG 737NG. For example, none of the click sounds on the overhead panel are working, nor the bell sounds for the passenger signs. Also, the panel seemed differently set up than the usual cold & dark scenario I am used to (for example, as soon as I had power, I noticed window heat switches were on, which was never the case before). The problem may go further than this, but I haven't checked anything else yet(I do have the ambient sounds after power is switched on).I don't know what is causing this problem, but I suspect I may be having some issue with FSUIPC 3.4(installed with Active Sky)? Having said that, restoring my older version(3.3) did not restore the sounds to the panel. I should point out that I have NOT installed the FS9.1 update (nor the Windows Service Pack 2, for that matter), because they both seemed to be causing problems for flight simmers. The cause of the sound problem is, of course, speculation on my part, but I cannot think of another possible reason just now.In any case, I don't know how to fix the above problems, so I would appreciate your input. I am guessing that the download issue can be resolved quickly, but am a bit less optimistic about the sound problem on the 737NG overhead. I am just hoping that I will not have to re-install the PMDG series aircraft? :-(Many thanks,Frank

Hi Frank,Sounds like firewall issues... any firewall software running? If so do you have AS2004.5 configured for access?Haven't heard of a sound problem on PMDG before, I don't see how AS can effect anything here. Not running AS restores sound?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest hlm65

Hi Frank !The new FSUIPC doesn't affect PMDG sounds, AFAIK.For what I know and experienced so far, AS and PMDG work beautifully togheter (the only thing I cannot understand is why the Flightwatch voice is spoken one word at a time and very slowly, that is: 10 minutes to hear a wx report, so I gave up with this feature).Best regards

Guest frankathl

Hi Damian,Thanks for replying!No, I cannot see how the PMDG sound problem could have anything to do with AS either!!In any case, I've managed to fix the sound problem by doing a System Restore, which brought back the overhead sounds, then undoing the System Restore, which brought back my AS installation, while still retaining the sounds! Go figure!I hadn't thought about a firewall issue. I am using McAfee virus Scan, but I don't have the Personal Firewall software. Could it be that it still runs a firewall, or does Windows XP have one?If possible, let me know how I can check, and also how to configure AS for one(I know, I need to read the manual more thoroughly. :-().Thanks,Frank

Guest frankathl

Hi Enrico,Yes, I don't doubt it at all! I'm sure the issue lies elswwhere. However, I'm puzzled, because I did not change anything with my FS9 or OS setup before installing AS. It may be a firewall issue.BR,Frank

Guest hlm65

Hi Frank,could be a firewall issue really !I don't have any antivirus/firewall in my FS computer, because I use it just for FS, it is NOT connected to the net and every program/data I load in it is virus checked by my PC at work which is "virus-free" (i hope !).I'm sure in a few while you'll be able to fully use AS+PMDG and enjoy them !And AS has surely the BEST support in this industry.Have trouble-free and weather-full flights !

Guest frankathl

Hmm...so how do you get current weather, Enrico?BR,Frank

Guest steku

I was experiencing problems with slow download (very slow) AND slow processing of AS. Here is result of my research:After conducting some additional tests I discovered that problems with AS2004 responses and processing speed are occurring mainly when I try to see what's happening in AS2004 and at the same time having FS2004 on screen in windowed mode (in this mode FS2004 is using 97-99% of CPU cycles). But when I'm running FS2004 in full screen mode and switch to AS2004 by Alt-Tab - AS2004 is working much, much faster! When I switch to AS2004 (with FS2004 in full screen) - the FS2004 is not visible, and FS2004 processor usage drops to 6-15%. Maybe I should never switch FS2004 to windowed mode (Alt-Enter) to check something in AS2004 interface (like winds aloft). But I'm simply afraid to leave my GA airplane (without autopilot) unattended! I doubt if real world pilots can spend minute or two without looking outside. It's invitation to some crazy maneuvers and possibly spiral, spin and death (virtual) Complete story in this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...11628&mode=full

Frank,Are you running WinXP with Service Pack 2 (SP)? The "upgrade" has an automatic personal firewall active.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest frankathl

Hi Damian,I don't have firewall software installed, so the only possibility I could think of was the Windows XP security setting. I disabled this, but I'm afraid it made no difference. I also tried disabling my virus scanner, but with the same negative results.Not knowing what else to try, I re-installed AS, but again to no avail. It appears to connect to the data server, but once I get to "downloading wx data from HiFi Data Net" it goes nowhere after that. Even when I, accidentally disconnected from the internet before closing AS, the program did not seem to notice(at least, it did not give an error message).The only other thing I noticed was that, when I re-installed AS it seemed to pick up on the settings I had previously(it did not give me the Online Updates not enabled message). I'm not at all sure about this, but I was wondering if I should delete the AS.ini file prior to reinstallation? If so, can you tell me where it is located, please?I'm at a loss as to what to do now, I'm afraid. :-(BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Well, guys, Active Sky is working right now!!! I've no idea what made it work and, frankly(!), I don't care, as long as it doesn't go away. I've tried it with and without FS running, and it seems to do the trick. So, Yippeeee(but not too loud, in case it changes its mind). I haven't managed to fly any weather yet, but I think it's gonna be great. We've got some "interesting" conditions in the Irish Sea at the moment, so am looking forward to seeing what tomorrow will bring(my brother is currently spending his 17th hour(of a 4 hour journey!) on board an Irish ferry, bound for Germany, but sheltering off the Welsh coast from the storms. Hope he arrives safely!).Anyway, thank you all for your help.BR,Frank

Guest frankathl

Thanks, 'steku'.I'll remember that when I'm experimenting with AS. I notice that the weather radar can drop your cycles ot almost zero if you turn on everything(the manual give you fair warning of this).BR,FrankPS Others will tell you to sign your name, but me....well :-)

Guest frankathl

Hi Mike,No, don't have SP2 loaded cause I heard of many problems. I think the results are system dependent, though. Don't have the FS upgrade, either, as a matter of interest(not yet, anyway).Good news is that AS is working, so I'm singin' in the rain at the moment.Thanks for pointing out another thing I didn't know!BR,Frank