Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grahm

Metar Source for AS wxRE

Guest Grahm

I just recently purchased AS wxRE. I'm impressed an I like it.What I don't like is the delayed time in updating metars.Just a few questions....If the ASwxRE uses: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtmlThe metar updates are inconsistent, an takes at times hours to update. Is this the source for downloading METARS used in AS wxRE?I've came across a page that's used in reality aviation an the METARS are updated every hour OR whenever a special is relaesedfrom the METAR site. It's consistant! If a metar updates 53 past the hour. You see it 5 mins later. Why can't AS wxRE use this as a METAR an TAF source?Now using: http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/Last question: Is this the winds aloft source that ASwxRE uses?http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/naconf.htmlThank youMike

Hi Mike,Yes NOAA is the source. When they update wxRE can update. There are server access issues that even I am not up to snuff on.Not sure about the winds data. We always point users to that site and we use the AS2004 server as a backup source. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Grahm

That's cool. Thanks for the prompt response. I was curious. Today KIAH had some serious weather an updates an specials were coming out like crazy an "ADDS" kept right up with all the updates. (http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/) I noticed NOAA was lagging by a few hours or more in the updates an WxRE was creating "dynamic" weather at times for KIAH. Not to much we or the development of the software could do fix it? Or just blaim NOAA?"_~Thanks, Mike

Guest Grahm

When 30 miles out or so, you're listening to the airport ATIS, to get the local ALTIM. Why doesn't it match up with what's actually in WxRE. Example: KIAH ATIS in FS2002pro said 348 @ 34 when it was actually 340 @ 5. I think the visibility was off as well...Now, when I get 5 miles out or so, the ATIS is right on target with what WxRE is.Thanks, Mike

Guest Grahm

//wxRE configuration file - be careful with edits here[General]WXREOfflinePath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREExportPath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREOperationMode = OnlineDefaultOfflineFile = defcycle02Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = TrueLowBandwidthWinds = FalseExportMetars = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = FalseIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 60ZuluConversion = -6RainVisReduction = TrueOvercastHorizonVis = TrueDisableForceWindUpdates = FalseTAFProcessing = TrueWakeTurb = TrueDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 400UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80

Guest Grahm

Eh,TAF Processing off, no difference. I am direcly over KBPT at FL190 an the ATIS from FS2002 is way off.Fs2002 atis - 220@39 vis 63WxRE ATIS - 330@6 vis 8winds aloft match up.

Guest Grahm

Seems I'm having a visibility issue. KIAH metar says 10 miles but FS2002 is saying 4! It's not only that airport. It says 4 miles whereever I go, it never used to do this, hmmm I might have changed something but I don't think I did.

Hi,In wxRE you're dealing with only one single wind (and vis) layer that is dynamically changed as you climb. Thus the ground reports from FS ATIS will be incorrect. 122.00 will give the correct surface conditions.Hope that helps!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi again,Could be overcast vis reduction.. was overcast reported?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Grahm

I think I may have the visibility factor solved. I cleared global weather in FS2002. But, this morning KIAH had overcast at 2900. Visibility was 10 miles. In FS2002 it looked like it was at 4 miles which the (fs2002) atis was at. Then, I thought, let me change just the visibility setting in fs2002 weather. I changed it to 10 miles. It looked just as it should with the overcast @ 2900!I just read above about the layering with winds an visibility which I understand.Whenever using the ALTIMITER from ASwxRE, it's sometimes off by 10 20 feet. (could be b/c of temp/dewpoint?) For example, I am at KMLU (elevation 85.1ft) FS2002 KMLU ALTIM' is 3003 which puts me at an elevation of 83.ftASwxRE current ALTIM'is 3004 which puts me at 92ft.Well, this example only shows 7 feet difference. But at times I've seen 10 to 20. Maybe I'm being to picky..... Here are some screen caps...

Guest Grahm

I think when ASwxRe gets the metar an the visibility is 10. It defaults FS2002 weather visibility to 20.//wxRE configuration file - be careful with edits here[General]WXREOfflinePath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREExportPath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREOperationMode = OnlineDefaultOfflineFile = defcycle02Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = FalseLowBandwidthWinds = FalseExportMetars = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = FalseIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 60ZuluConversion = -6RainVisReduction = TrueOvercastHorizonVis = TrueDisableForceWindUpdates = FalseTAFProcessing = FalseWakeTurb = TrueDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 200UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80

Guest Grahm

Damian, What would it take for the source for the metars updates in AScome from ADDS? (http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/metars/)Since it's more consistant in the updates.Would it require rewritting the code in the software? I'de prefer getting the latest an most consistant weather in my flight sim experience. Which noticable is from ADDS.Mike