Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

ATIS rpt: "Visibility 86"??

Just flew into Denver and the flightwatch radio reported visibility as "86". That cannot be right can it?

Eric 

Just flew into KSAN and flightwatch radio said visibility "27" when the METAR says 10SM. I think something has been screwed up with the flightwatch radio.

Eric 

Hi guys,Actually this is normal. Flightwatch will always report the actual visibility as determined by AS. Of course 10sm is the max in METAR reports and 20SM is the max in FS ATIS, but Flightwatch will tell you 100SM if its that clear!Would you prefer that a "greater than 10sm" or "greater than 20sm" method be used instead? We can consider this for the next version..Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Grahm

Well, I would be kind of biast in this area since I am in the good ole US of A. Always see'ing 10 miles. This is suppose to be a reality weather program right?(or user defined) Why not just stick to what reality has to offer us? 10 miles. I don't know about anywhere else but... the places I have been an flown to on clear days, I couldn't really see greater then 10 miles.Mike

Guest 320MAD

Hi there,Just reading the post yes I would prefer a greater than 10SM message instead of reporting "34". Reason being that I only (this is a personal oppinion) want to know if the vis is less than 10sm e.g. on landing. Just my 2c.320MAD

Yes, I agree. A visiblity "greater than 10 miles" would be much preferred over what it is now.

Eric