Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agrajag

Quick new user questions

Guest Agrajag

First time user. Glad to be aboard.ActiveSky seems to have cured one side-effect I'd been wondering about forever. No matter what I did previously, ATC would always, always, ALWAYS send me to RWY 8 out of KPHL even though the main runways are 9L/27R and 9R/27L. I could never get sent to either of those. I read some small item SOMEWHERE in the documentation that I can't find now that mentioned a problem like this. After getting ActiveSky set up I got sent right to 27L on my first flight out which matched the wind conditions perfectly. Fantastic! However, one thing does concern me and that's a reference that says, as part of "The recommended order for realistic procedures", "Import your flight plan into AS2004.5 and process." Huh? Why? I was hoping to be able to have weather work nearly as invisibly as the default weather without the need to have to do any duplicate work (it's the reason I stopped using a couple other add-ons) If ActiveSky reads the weather based on all the weather reporting stations near my plane, shouldn't the surrounding weather be accurate no matter what path my plane takes? I often like to just take off VFR and fly around wherever. Will I not have accurate weather then?

Hi,Welcome! The reason for processing a plan right now is to get enroute weather conditions and it allows FlightWatch to be able to report your destination weather conditions.If you like to just fly around, that's OK! You will still get accurate weather with no duplicate work!! The manual is being updated to reflect all the new features and procedures since our initial release.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Agrajag

That's great news Jim and that makes the OPTION a very nice feature. Now if I could just get ActiveSky to load on its own like FSUIPC each time, I'd be set. I know I could use FSAutoStart but I'd like to find a way to make it even a bit more integrated.Lastly do you know anything about the item I mentioned regarding getting sent to the wrong runway prior to your taking over? I love that now I can get sent to the right ones. I'm curious what the cause was.

Hi,On your initial load of FS, ATIS is set based on old weather conditions. To re-load AI and ATIS let Active Sky process the weather. Then re-load AI by changing the time by one minute. Now AI and ATIS will give you the proper runway.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Agrajag

Jim, Thanks for the great support. Being SO new a couple things are still unclear to me on the above directions.If I understand what you're saying, when I first load FS, ATIS information is based on the weather conditions of the last time I last loaded FS, correct? (odd)So, then the main question. You say to re-load AI (as in traffic or do you mean some other AI) and ATIS let Active Sky process the weather. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that. Isn't having it loaded resulting in it processing the weather? The only "process" term I'm familiar is the one where I have to load up the flightplan and click Process. If so, that'll be a major negative for me as that's the key extra step I was hoping not to have to resort to each load.Lastly, how do you change the time by one minute? Via the Time/Season menu?Either way, wow, that certainly sounds convoluted (no knock on you or the product as I'm certain FS is responsible but convoluted processes generally end up driving me to forego features to take the less convoluted path ).For what it's worth, I got the right runway (the one I NEVER get otherwise) on my first trial of Active Sky and I didn't do any of the above.

Hi,No problem:1. Your default flight has weather attached to it, no matter what. The initial decisions made by ATIS are based on this weather. 2. To get around this FS SITUATION, load your flight, start AS and let it download the weather and write to all its stations(that is called processing the weather). Yes, then go to the Time/Season menu and bump the minutes up by one. Click OK. Then FS ATIS will recognize the new weather and assign you and AI correct runways. We are working to streamline this whole thing in a future release.3. It is not hard:a. start FSb. start ASc. increase the time by one minute and click OK.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Agrajag

That's great news (possibly future streamlining). Thanks again. I've done some serious work on my fltsim.flt file to have it work just the way it should. Contrary to popular believe, saving a default flight is, in my experience, a bad idea because it saves states for many things you don't want saved. AI is especially impacted by this. Thus, I just edit that file and set everything as I want it and then the time of day and many other elements are still dynamic and not static.Last thing. Can I tell that you're doing your thing when I notice that Weather has moved from "Clear" to "User-Defined"? I made the mistake once of going in and resetting it back to clear assuming you'd then come in and stomp all over it on the next pass but that never seemed to happen.

Guest Agrajag

Jim,Back again. Two things have cropped up I need to ask about.1) Are you guys doing something with my time? Suddenly I find that once you hook in my Local Time and GMT are matched. Thus, 11am becomes dawn here and so forth. Previously, local time (EST) and GMT were 5 hours apart. I can't imagine why they'd now both move to the same exact time.2) On a flight back into KPHL from KIAD a few times I went from a totally clean forward view to an instant later of being in fog and then back again after a short period. As I said, this happened a few times. I had thought this is one of the things ActiveSky purported to smooth out. If so I likely have a setting turned off that I missing.Otherwise, like all your other customers, I'm really enjoying the diversity of the skies around me now. Pretty amazing stuff.

>That's great news Jim and that makes the OPTION a very nice>feature. >>Now if I could just get ActiveSky to load on its own like>FSUIPC each time, I'd be set. I know I could use FSAutoStart>but I'd like to find a way to make it even a bit more>integrated.>Hi,you could use FSUIPC Run Options by Jos

Guest Agrajag

It's set to the default of System Time for both.As far as clouds and the issue before, there were barely any clouds in the sky. It was odd.(thanks to the other poster on the FSUIPC Run option)Now that I'm using this to launch Active Sky, is there any sort of parameter that would allow launching AS "quietly"? In other words, let it launch without grabbing foreground focus? Right now when I do this FS comes up just before AS but then AS jumps to the foreground.

Guest Agrajag

Thanks Jim. Oddly this didn't work. It was set to minimized but it loaded as usual (Perhaps I have to reboot?) and forced Flight Sim to minimize again.

I do not know if the limited registration of FSUIPC will allow this as I use the fully registered version:In FS9 I unassigned the key combo of ctrl-T.In FSUIPC button assignments I assigned ctrl-t to toggle the unload of AI and then relaod it. While in FS9 you hit it once to unload AI and a second time to load it. Doing this a couple of minutes after AS has finished its weather writes retarts the AI to use the proper runways and updates ATIS for the current weather.This avoids going into the World menu for the time advance and reduces the procedure to two strokes of a hot key.