Sign in to follow this  

Today for the first time I had a Visbility problem using AS.The metar was the followinghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97080.jpgAnd that is what I was having outside. All this "soup" was starting at about 3000 and went down to groundhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97081.jpgMy AS settings are the followinghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/97082.jpgThe only think that I have done different in teh flight which was online, in Vatsim as all my flights :) was that i had used imported route using only Destination,Departure and FL.ANy Ideas?Chris

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest majorursa

So what was your expectation?FYI the TAF part of the METAR, ie. the second line. says that between 1900 and 0400 there is a 30% probability that the visibility will be 7000 and RAin is predicted. This seems to agree with the picture outside.Or did u mean something else?Ursa..

Hi Chris,A few things:It is not your TAF. You have TAF processing Off, which is correct. TAFs are not even being used.You are out of the 2 mile range of the active METAR so conditions may not match exactly. You are getting blended weather from a number of stations.Try with FS9HazeLayer OffLower your SupressionCeiling to 4000.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Paragon

I have a question with regards to online flying. I mostly fly online, and should I have the TAF option turned off in the options menu? Is this only used when flying "single player"?...sorry for "hi-jacking" the thread.

Thank you Jim,I would make the change to see if there is any difference. The strange part although is that is kind of weather kept until I landed at LGAVChris

Chris Makris

PLEASE NOTE PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at http://forum.pmdg.com

Hi,I'm having the same problem - it is most frustrating.I will be flying along (offline and using offline archived wx)sometimes right away from departure, but most usually, some way into the flight, all of a sudden the sky becomes dirty grey, and the visibility drops to what appears to be a couple miles or less. This occurs cruising in the flight levels, or down low below 10,000'. Usually then after I desecend and get closer to an airport, the greyness disappears. It will happen whether I'm flying in a region of the world with alot of wx reporting stations, or in an area where they are few and far between.I've been following the various threads on this subject and have tried all the suggestions - but to no avail.AS is a wonderful product...except for this and the extreme windshifts that I experience.Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Hi Jim,Thanks for the quick reply! I have always been most impressed by, and very much appreciate, the quality and timeliness of support that comes with ActiveSky.Just for the record, I'm using AS2004.5 along with the latest registered version (3.411) of FSUIPC. However, these phenomena have occured with the previous version of FSUIPC also...so I don't think think Peter's program is the problem.I experience, as a matter of routine, wind shifts of 180 degrees or more, increasing/decreasing anywhere from low velocities to in excess of 30kts or more. Usually this seems to happen during climbout and cruise.What most concerns me, though, is the visibility issue. I hate slogging around in an opaque gray world for many miles and/or hours on end. Right now I'm in a Tu-114 at FL300, on a CYMX - KMSP flight, and have been in that opaque haze for the better part (50 mins thus far) of that flight. Earlier this evening, did a EGAA - EGCC flight in a MAAM DC3 cruising at 7000', and once again, the same visibility problems. This is prevalent no matter what current/archived wx I use.Any suggestions you have, I would be more than happy to hear. If you want me to send you my fsuipc.ini file and AS wx.ini file, let me know.Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Jim,The ini file is posted below. Thanks again for the quick response, and don't worry about getting to looking at it right away tomorrow. Whenever you have the time will work for me....the world isn't going to end just because I have some visibility/wind issues in FS9 ;-)//AS2004.5 configuration file B147[General]WindowPosX = 4005WindowPosY = 3765DefaultWeatherFolder = C:AS2004 Wx FilesSuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 4LocalSuppressionRange = 50MinimumVisibility = 0.25MaximumVisibility = 30IncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = FalseOnlineUpdates = FalseExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = TrueDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = FalseUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -6AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = FalseWakeTurb = FalseStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONELastPlanFolder = C:Documents and SettingsScott CebulaMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesRegards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Jim,I changed the line as per your suggestion. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the windshifts that I mentioned earlier...and still having the visibility problems from time to time too.Regards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula

Hi,Have you tried with Depict FS9 haze layer ON? We are attempting to isolate a related issue and so far it happens only with FS9 haze layer OFF. If this is the same case, changing this to ON should eliminate any vis inconsistencies. Please let me know...As to wind shifts, this is the first report of this for a long time (since newer FSUIPC versions).It almost sounds like there might be an FSUIPC comms problem. Are you running on WideFS? Please post your as2004.log file, it may reveal problems in this area.Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Damien,Greetings and thanks for the reply.Here's my AS2004 log file...not really much there:"Log Cleared and Initalized at 11-15-22:55"Currently I'm flying with the Depict FS9 Haze Layer "off". I had to change it from "on" to "Off", because with it on, it was like I was flying in a bowl all the time...and the skies were constantly grey, not matter that the METAR was would be reportinig clear and good Vis.Here's my FSUIPC.ini file...don't know it that will help:[General]History=GA7B6B05PZ96961TI81L8WindSmoothing=YesAutoTaxiWind=NoWhiteMessages=NoThrottleSyncAll=NoGraduatedVisibility=NoLowerVisAltitude=0UpperVisAltitude=25000UpperVisibility=6000GenerateCirrus=YesWindShearSharp=NoUpperWindGusts=NoExtendMetarMaxVis=YesPatchSimApAlt=YesDisconnTrimForAP=NoAutoClearWeather=YesExtendTopWind=YesWindSmoothness=4SmoothPressure=NoPressureSmoothness=5SmoothVisibility=YesVisibilitySmoothness=2MaxSurfaceWind=0WindLimitLevel=200WindDiscardLevel=400WindAjustAltitude=NoWindAjustAltitudeBy=2000MinimumVisibility=25MaximumVisibilityFewClouds=3000MaximumVisibility=2000MaximumVisibilityOvercast=2000MaximumVisibilityRainy=1000OneCloudLayer=NoThinClouds=NoThinThunderClouds=NoCloudThinness=1000ThunderCloudThinness=10000CloudTurbulence=NoCloudIcing=NoWindTurbulence=NoSuppressAllGusts=NoExternalOptionControl=YesAutoTuneADF=NoKeepFS98CloudCover=NoShowPMcontrols=NoMagicBattery=YesRudderSpikeRemoval=NoElevatorSpikeRemoval=NoAileronSpikeRemoval=NoReversedElevatorTrim=NoTrapUserInterrupt=YesNavFreq50KHz=NoClockSync=NoSmoothIAS=YesRegards,ScottKJMS

Scott Cebula