Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

Still don't understand Force Destination Weather

I fly with this enabled.I do not use TAF processing, or enable automatic updatesI just flew into Boston with the following:KBOS 131045Z 35012KT 1SM R04R/6000VP6000FT -SN BR BKN010 BKN013 OVC026 M01/M03 A3039 RMK AO2 TWR VIS 1 1/4 P0002 $Flying in, the skies were quite clear except for a few clouds over the airport.Halfway down the runway suddenly the visibility plummets, it is overcast ans snowing!Taxiing to the gates suddenly the sky is clear with great visibility!I thought Force destination weather should prevent this behaviour, and even then not sure why this 100% change in weather half way down the runway.Here is my ini file://AS2004.5 configuration file B147[General]WindowPosX = 1635WindowPosY = 3510DefaultWeatherFolder = F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 3LocalSuppressionRange = 60MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 59IncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = TruePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = FalseExtendedDestinationWindsForce = TrueGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = TrueExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = TrueUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAm I misundestanding the force weather option?Greg

Greg Clark

I am still not sure it is working though. To quote from the manual:Force Destination Wx ZoneClones all station weather within 75nm of your destination to match destination conditions, making weather conditions more consistent to destination reports during your approach phaseThe weather in Boston was terrible with poor visibility etc and yet along the entire approach 16 miles out the weather was very clear. Did not change to what the METAR said it should be until roll out. What was happening at the airport I am quite sure was not an update since I have ground updates disabled, rather an abrupt change for whatever reason to match the METAR that occured mid airport in visibility and appearance of snow. Since the change occured in the middle of the airport I could taxi into and out of it literally and I did.So far I have seen quite variable conditions around airports with no suggestions of cloning of all weather stations to match weather conditions within 75 miles of the destination airportThat is why I do not think the force destination weather is working.I have 3.411 FSUIPC am careful to clear weather etc before starting Active Sky etc.Thannks for any thoughts.Greg

Greg Clark

This was the most dramatic example, but most of the time I get the impression the reporting sites are not cloned to destination due to large variety of different weather themes on the way into the airport.

Greg Clark

Guest Stephan

Hi, just to chime in: I have the same issue (Force Destionation Weather doesn't do anything) since this option is available in AS.Does it work for anybody, then what's your config?GreetingsStephan

Hi Stephan,Thanks for the info here.. I believe we have a confirmed problem with the force destination zone feature. I am looking into this and a few other minor issues for a pending update due soon. Any other information you have regarding this would be much appreciated! Thanks..

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Grahm

I thought I had a problem but I guess not. I launched my flight sim, clear the weather an then fire up ASwxRE. The winds are right on the money along with the rain, right about the same time I get scattered to broken clouds at 3800 ft.(right when the wind gets set in fs2002) But the current METAR for KIAH is as follows:KIAH 170840Z 10010KT 7SM -RA FEW006 BKN010 OVC020 19/18 A3015It takes FS2002Pro awhile to update the clouds an the height.I guess clearing the weather in FS an then refreshing ASwxRE, takes awhile for the weather to generate in FS? I see the winds get set pretty much after "METAR processing is complete..."The above metar did load. Approximately 5 mins after, "METAR processing is complete..."

Damina,just reproduced again this on a flight from KDEN to KDFW where destination and enroute weather is overcast rain etc. Again arriving at KDFW region the weather clears and except for a few clouds remains so with spoken ATIS agreeing with visual. At touchdown, it starts to rain, and becomes overcast as before but ATIS continues to say clear skies and 25 nm visibility. No TAF processing on. It is almost like the weather engine clears it out.DamianI hope this can be solved soon, as this is a great program but this aspect is a big disappointment in terms of ending long trips with completely unrealistic weather.Greg

Greg Clark

PS, for fun I went to KDFW. loaded the same weather as before and flew out. I am in the soup and rain until 10,000 feet and there is overcast 40+ miles from airport as I would have expected. This confirms to me that Active Sky deletes whatever weather is supposed to be there.Hope this is helpful.Greg

Greg Clark

Guest Stephan

Sorry for being so late. What information would be useful? Thanks.

Hi Greg,Please shoot me an e-mail, I have some tests for you to run if you don't mind.. thanks! damianc@hifisim.com

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies