Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Distant clouds "popping up"

Hi,On my last flight from KDFW-KATL it was very cloudy enroute and I noticed during my flight at FL330 that the clouds in the distance ahead of me where "painted" almost like in slowmotion and it didn't look very realistic...is there any way I can fix that problem?Have included a pic where I have outlined what clouds I mean and what it looked like during my flight.TIA,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98633.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Hi Jim,Had my maximum visibility in AS set to 59 which I belive is the standard value after installation of AS? Do you really think decreasing that value to 50 would do the trick? Reason I ask is the difference doesn't sound that big between 59-50.Will try it next time I notice the same problem and see if it helps. This time I tried increasing the LocalSuppressionRange setting all the way up to 300 but I'm not sure if I think it helped that much, maybe it increased the distance to the slowly created clouds a bit but that's all and the problem was still very visible.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Guest Fjorko

If you look at the first sticky on this forum it seems there is a problem with FSUIPC 3.411 and AS, which includes this issue apparently. I also experience the same thing you do - so lets hope a newer version of FSUIPC solves this issue and other visibilty anomalies, becuase you are right, it is not very realistic if clouds pop up like that out of nowhere - that is the main reason i bought this program...to get rid of it !!!Cheers

OK, I'll have a look - thanks for the info and just like you I honestly didn't think I would experience these kind of problems with AS. Was hoping it was due to a bad setting in my AS2004.ini file.All the best,

Richard Åsberg

Hi All,Let's get our vocabulary straight. Sorry, but that far distant line of clouds that is being drawn on the screen for the first time is NOT a cloud pop up. Cloud pop ups are new clouds that jump into view in the general area of your plane. It is not a cloud popup when the general shape of the cloud changes. It is not when the cloud rotates toward your plane. It is not when the cloud changes color a bit. It is not when a single cloud disappears and reappears, moved over a bit.Much of this is due to the graphics engine in FS04 and we are working around that.The new issues we are having with FSUIPC have NOTHING to do with this AFAIK, so don't look for a solution there.So what are some suggestions?1. Limit your maximum visibility to 50. I know it doesn't look like much, but we discovered that in FS there is a cut off point in visibility right at 59.2. Limit cloud draw distance to 30.3. Limit draw distance to 60.4. On a low to mid system, LOCK YOUR FRAMERATES. Don't follow those that suggest Unlimited rates. With heavy clouds lock at 20. You will NOT notice a performance difference. I have a high end system and still lock my rates, unless I am doing some testing.5. Update your video drivers.6. Local supression range is fine at 100. Increasing it will not fix this.These suggestions come from a huge amount of testing and experimentation. Please give them a try, and if so inclined let me know your results.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hi Jim,Thanks for all your tips, will try them out the next flight I'm doing.I realize it's imperative to use the right words when describing a problem but when it comes to the "problem" I discovered during my flight today it wasn't that the clouds changed color a bit, was a bit rezized or anything like that but they were actually drawn right before my eyes and they were drawn VERY slowly which made it look even more unrealistic. In this kind of scenario I honestly don't think the range from your a/c matters, if the range is 5 or 50 nm. It still spoils alot of the feeling we are all striving for in this hobby...reality.I also realize that the source of many problems no matter what kind of add-on we're speaking about is MSFS in itself and all it's limitations in different aspects and I'm sure I'm not the only one hoping for a more effective, well written and "up-to-date" code in the next version of MSFS and that I'm equally sure goes for both users and developers of 3'rd party add-on:s.But back to the real point of discussion, like I said I'll try out what you suggests and let you know the result.Best regards,

Richard Åsberg

Guest Fjorko

Yes, and what i meant was that clouds sometimes just SUDDENLY appear almost instantaniously right infront of you, or SUDDENLY (note that word) just disappear (completely) in the same way... and the distance i guess is no further than 5 miles ahead of me...Now that surely cannot be right if AS is suppose to suppress station writes and whilst FS9 weather change over time is set ot NONE.Or..I'm missing the whole point of AS.Cheers

Hi Richard,Please notice I said "Hi All"! That covers anyone who reads this thread!! You did great in posting a screen shot with the area of the clouds highlighted. That way I knew you were not experiencing cloud pop ups and could offer some suggestions. See, you can get the same thing with FS04 weather if your visibility is set too far and sight distance is too great. This is a FS limitation and so we try to work around it. Yes, please try those things out and post your results. You have been a great customer so far!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hi Pieter,What you are experiencing are cloud pop ups. That is something different than the screen shot and you are correct, it should not be happening. Now, let's work to get this solved for you!Let's start by posting your AS2004.ini file and I'll be happy to take a look at your settings!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Fjorko

Will post when i get a chance tonight ( at work now )Apart from all these "issues", i still think it is a wonderfull product, so please do not interpret my comments as critisizing your program. I'm sure you will understand !Regards

That goes for me too, I don't in any way regret I bought AS...it makes the sky look more beautiful than ever before. Just want to try sorting any problems out.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hi Jim,Well...now I've done some testing and the local time here in Stockholm-Sweden is 0207 so I guess I'll be a bit tired at work tomorrow but at least I can enjoy the feeling I think I've found the settings that work best IMHO.These are my current settings and the "problem" isn't all gone but at least I think it's much better and maybe as good as it can get with the current graphics engine in MSFS.In FS:Sight distance 60Cloud draw distance 70FPS locked at 25In AS:Supression range 70 (same as CDD in FS according to AS documentation)My AS2004.ini now looks like this. If you find anything else in my settings that you think should be set differently, please let me know.//AS2004.5 configuration file B147[General]WindowPosX = 3480WindowPosY = 3705DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 70MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 50LastPlanFolder = NONEIncreasedWake = TrueDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = FalseOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = TrueExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = 1AloftPredictability = 65WindDriftRate = 5TAFProcessing = TrueEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEAnd at last to end this post in a beautiful way, a picture taken right before I wrote this post - a Delta Air Lines 738 with the new settings mentioned above applied crusing at FL250 at 1700 local time between Atlanta - New York.All the best and good night,http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98804.jpg

Richard Åsberg

Guest Fjorko

Oops, i forgot to post my Ini settings.Actually last night i flew in clear skies down in South Africa ( FACT-FAPE) and this time i did not have any cloud pops in the distance, but i guess that was because all weather stations reported clear skies...or CAVOK ( whatever that is !! LOL )By the way...what is CAVOK Clouds ?Thanks

Guest Edwin

CAVOK indicates visibility OK, which generally means no clouds under 5000 (?) feet.Hope this helps.Edwin