Sign in to follow this  
Guest rino

Rain & clear skies

Guest rino

Hi, I'm still getting this weird problem: rain very often above clouds or only between sparse clouds with most of the sky clear.I've really hoped this issue could be fixed with AS4.5....Any good news?Edit: extended thunderstorms are disabled

Guest rino

It's OFFthanx for your reply - hope for a solution

Guest rino

Here it is://AS2004.5 configuration file B147[General]WindowPosX = 5160WindowPosY = 5295DefaultWeatherFolder = E:FS9 ACTIVESKYSuppressionCeiling = 10000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 10LocalSuppressionRange = 50MinimumVisibility = MaximumVisibility = LastPlanFolder = IncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = FalseOnlineUpdates = FalseExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = TrueDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseAutoGlobalWriteToggle = FalseRainWithTS = FalseDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 15VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = 1AloftPredictability = WindDriftRate = TAFProcessing = TrueEnforceVisibilityLimits = FalseWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEJust a thought:am I alone with this problem or do all of us have it?Thanx again - nice and prompt support, as always

Guest rino

Let's try thisI'll be back in a few days

Hi,Now I'm confused! You are below cloud level, the Radar shows you are in rain, and rain is falling on your plane. What am I missing?Edit: Is it the fact that there is blue sky showing? If the local METARs show rain and the cloud layers are thin, then that is the way it will show up on your screen. A post of the closest Station Report may help me!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest rino

I think you're right.Nothing to say about the way AS sets the rain, but - to me at least - it looks strange that in a half covered sky I have rain in front of my windshield (If i post a screen, you'll see a blue sky ... and rain, even if I'm below cloud level, oops half covered sky :-) )Glad to hear that this is the way it should be, even if the visual appearance is not quite good - don't you agree?thanx

Hi,The "problem" is that FS doesn't isolate rain to the area directly below any given cloud formation. It simply renders cloud "layers" which either have precip (with associated type/intensity) or not. If you are within/under the layer, at or below the "precip base" (which is generally close to the actual cloud base), you will get the precip depiction. It is a resolution limitation. FWIW in real life yes it is possible and even frequent that rain will "blow" away from clouds, making the source obscure, but in your example it does look a little strange, the rain should be isolated to roughly below the thicker cloud formations.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies