Sign in to follow this  
Guest jerel2k4

FS9 Shutsdown Unexpectedly

Guest fs3tofs9

Whoops, replied to the wrong person so perhaps it was unclear what I was referring to. I was referencing the event log described by jerel2k4 in the original message for this thread. I'll copy it below:The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 6.Regards!

Guest jerel2k4

I am running FS 9.1, FSUIPC 3.411 and Activesky B147. I do not like to install Beta versions.Thanks!

Hi,This needs to be solved. I don't think it is FSUIPC or AS related, but maybe we can get to the bottom of it...Observations:1) This started happening about 2 weeks ago2) It is effecting users with many different versions of AS and FSUIPC3) All users reporting problems have FS9.1 and FSW cloudsPlease advise if these observations are incorrect in your experiences...Some things to try:1) Since everyone here having the problem is using FSW clouds, it may not be related, but might be worth trying the default FS clouds to see if it has an effect.2) Anyone using the NOCD patch? We've had all kinds of problems reported with this with FS9.1. If you have it, we highly recommend going back to the normal FS9.1 exe as provided by MS. 3) It is reported that the crashes only happen with AS running, but has anyone tried using FS default wx? Remember AS only sets the wx via FSUIPC, and has no direct influence on FS. The problem may indeed be isolated to WEATHER representation not just standard FS use.Any more details / reports would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest fs3tofs9

Sure,I'm using FS 9.1, AS2004 4.5 b163, and FSUIPC 3.411 (unregistered).Regards.

Guest Edwin

Hi Damian,Thanks for your offer to help with this. I have been working with Pete Dowson to try to get to the bottom of this but it seems from him that some CTDs are (very unfortunately) unavoidable as they are caused by FS9.1 itself and not other add-ons. To add to the trouble, the CTDs are not consistent - I can't just fly to somewhere and check if it crashes. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I flew twice with B163 (each about 3-hour flights) and those went without a hitch and then three times in a row, I got CTDs. Then I installed a newer beta of FSUIPC and WideFS (that Pete sent me) and flew once, which was fine again.I'm saying all this to tell you that I still have no idea what is causing those CTDs. I am not blaming AS (or FSUIPC for that matter) as I have no basis for saying what is causing the CTD. It could also be the PSS aircraft that I fly (I have the PSS Airbus PRO series and the PSS 330/340 as well as the PSS Concorde). So, what I'll do is I'll keep flying until I hit a CTD and then I'll report here (and on the FSUIPC support forum) until we can come to a resolution. Is that okay with you?To answer your questions:1) No, it's been happening for quite a few months now. FS9.1 did seem to make things better but I'm still getting some. Maybe once every 2-3 flights.2) I was using B147, FSUIPC 3.411 and WideFS 6.41 for some time and definitely got some CTDs with that combination.3) Yes, I use the FSW clouds.As for things to try, Pete advised me to change one variable at a time. I'll try changing the clouds to the default the next time I hit a CTD. Similarly with my water textures. Pete also asked that I try removing ActiveRadar.dll from the Modules folder as that caused my CTD last time. As for the no CD patch, I'm using the one that's modified from the original 9.1 exe. I have tried reverting to the original one (from Microsoft) but no help.Anyhow, will report back the next time I hit a CTD.Thanks so much.Edwin

Hi Edwin, Which clouds you are using? The external zip files of fs sky world 2004? Because in both case I never get any issue reports with CTD from any fsw clouds unless ctd at 77% loading with dxt clouds (render-to-texture not enabled) non from fs sky world 2004 approx: 21000 download The only way to get a ctd from a texture, fs9.0 will not load at all at the start and never during a flight. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest jerel2k4

Hello everyone,It seems like this problem we are seeing is not only with MS Flight Simulator 2004. Read this post which I found on http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-30199.htmlyowler06-08-2004, 09:22 AMGday EveryoneFirstly I will give you my computer specs:P4 2.8ghzGeforce 4MX440 64mb AGP8X512mb DDR Sound Blaster Audigy120gb Western Digital HDDWin XP Pro SP1 (5.1) Build 2600 Directx 9.0bIntel D865GBFBios date 09/24/03 11:07:51 Ver 08:00:09I have just recently upgraded my computer to the following specs and you would think that I should be able to run Age of Mythology (AOM) on my computer (when I had WIN98 on a smaller system it worked perfectly).Everytime I start playing the game, it crashes and returns to the desktop. Sometimes when I try and start the program it doesnt even load up at all. I have downloaded all the latest drivers for the hardware in my computer and tried an XP patch from the microsoft website that they had in their troubleshooting page but to no avail, it still doesnt work.I am able to play a lot more graphic intense games like Hitman 3, GTAIII, Battlefied 1942, Black Hawk Down, as well as other Mircrosoft games but for some reason, this one game will not work. I have tried this game on my mates PC which has lower specs than mine and has a Geforce 2 card and it works perfectly on his, i tried his Graphics card in my machine and it didnt work, same problem again. Major difference between his computer and mine is the operating system. He still runs WIN98 and im on XP (Acccck I hate XP)I have checked eventvwr when this problem occurs and this is what it comes up with:"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7."I have no idea what this means. The Event Id and the source are blank so I am unable to check the microsoft site to match it to the error code. Would this have something to do with user permissions on XP?Please Helllpppp...Cheers Guys n GalsYowler

Guest merlin2

The first major problem that i have seen many people posting about is the shut down of msfs 2004 with no what so ever error message pertaining to anything. This factor has several side affects. Firstly spyware is a key factor of this occuring. Secondly It has been a long time since you defraged so since the processes are not being run at a correct order, msfs 2004 tends to fail on a process and just shuts down. Thirdly you are infected with virus which is removable.Spyware: This is a collection of beast like registries that come into your computer through open ports or files that you may get transfered through. Sometimes a registry or file affected by spyware tends to get in the way of msfs 2004 or other applications, and there causes it to shut down. People tend to use Ad ware to remove this, now let me tell you this, addware is a program too be used with extreme caution and if you are not aware of what files are neccesary to keep on your computer too keep it running then adaware is a computer killer. So i suggest since this post is all about new people or unknown computer people, I suggest with you guys downloading spybot which finds all (most) spyware and adaware and removes it from your computer without damaging any system files. This extract is from a post on my VA,s Forum. I hope it helps. Howard

Guest tower

HiGuys,I just completed my tenth flight, some of the flights are as long as5 hours. I am proud to say that I haven't had one problem. The following is the method I used, hope it works. The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments: Shortcut to: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;83719 Method 5: Disable NVIDIA Driver Helper ServiceTo disable the NVIDIA Driver Help Service, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. In the Open box, type services.msc, and then click OK. 3. Right-click Nvidia Driver Helper Service, and then click Properties. 4. In the Startup Type box, select Disabled. 5. Click OK, and then quit the Services program. Method 3: Verify that DirectX is installed correctlyTo verify that DirectX has been installed correctly and that all DirectX files are the correct version, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, and then click Run. 2. In the Open box, type dxdiag, and then click OK. 3. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, on the System tab, verify that the DirectX version is version 9.0a or later. If you have an earlier version than 9.0a, go to Method 6 later in this article. 4. On the DirectX Files tab, in the Notes box, verify that the text No problems found appears.Note If problems are found, install the latest version of DirectX. To obtain the latest version of DirectX, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx On the Network tab, verify that the symptoms of a corrupted DirectPlay installation are not present. These symptoms include:

Guest jerel2k4

I believe I have solved the problem to these mysterious crashes. I used the FSGS system unification service. This is a fantastic service! However, disabling services in XP can produce some problems. I was experiencing error messages in my event log. Also along with these error messages I was getting VSS (Volume Shadow Copy service) error messages. I came across this article on the internet."Don't disable system services! (unless you REALLY know what you are doing)"http://blogs.msdn.com/adioltean/archive/20.../26/332540.aspxThis hit the nail on the head. I flew a complete flight last night and did not have the Flight Simulator shut down unexpectedly. After the flight I checked the event log and voila! no error messages. I followed the advice of the above website.Specifically,(4) The solution Please check that the following services are enabled: - "Remote Procedure Call" (RPCSS) should be enabled, Automatic- "COM+ Event System" (EventSystem) should be enabled, Manual- "System Event Notification Service" (SENS) should be enabled, Automatic- "Volume Shadow Copy" (VSS) should be enabled, Manual- "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider" (SWPRV) should be enabled, manual.If you have any of these services disabled or not in the state mentioned above, then you will get the 0x8007042c VSS error in the event log above. You can change the enable/disable status of various system services through the Services section in "Computer Management" applet in MMC. To open it, just right-click on the "My computer" and select "Manage". I hope this helps! I think it has helped me.

Guest bonjourmoi44

Hi not sure if this has been stated yet as I did not read every reply, but I had the same problem of FS shutting down (always on decent). I have an Intel motherboard. P4 /3.2 chip, 6800 GT video card. I could not figure out the problem, then I went to Intel.com and updated my drivers and flashed my bios. W/Windows XP and SP 1 and 2, I needed the updates even though I just bought the new gear You may have done this, may not have, but it worked for me, no more shut downs (knock on wood). My computer would crash every two flights or so, now not for at least 20-30 flights. Good luck.

Guest jerel2k4

Cameron,I am making progress on the unexpected shutdowns. I am running almost the same setup as yours. I have the latest chipset and bios on my machine. Also, I was going to install Service Pack 2 as my last option. I installed SP2 before and I was getting a lot of stutters in windows and inside of flight simulator. I have two hardware profiles set up... so I will install SP2 after I do some more flying. I called microsoft on this issue and sent them those 3 event messages that I was getting. Very hard to reproduce. Usually my sim would shut down when flying or when sitting on the ground for a long time. The sim has been on since when I got home from work yesterday and still running this morning so I think I am making progress.Thanks!Happy New Year.

Guest bonjourmoi44

Well good luck. Things can be very frusterating sometimes. The problem is there are service packs, patches, updates, flashes etc... for all products, not just windows. Trying to make everything work for everyones setup is crazy. I found through much trial and error that the most current setup seems to work best, that is:update all driversflash biosobtain all windows updatesreinstall everything as a last resort and redo above tasks(except the bios of course)only install add-ons that you'll useshut down all unnesseasry applicationsfind a queit place to ponder why $*!^ happens w/computers.Hope you get everything worked out!