Sign in to follow this  
Guest Popart

Confused: Render to texture

Guest Popart

Hey Jim and Damian,Recently I have been reading some posts about the Render To Texture option. It has got me puzzled. Let me explain:I am using Project AI aircraft, which I all converted to DXT3 textures for better textures on my system (it works).I am also using the DXT3 High Cloud Performance textures made by Chris.This mean I have to have the Render To texture option turned on, right? I also know it causes my 2D panel to flicker every now and then, but that's something I have learned to live with.What improvement should I see if I am using the 32 bit cloud textures? And is it possible to turn Render To Texture off, even with my DXT3 PAI aircraft textures?Reason for asking is that I have read somewhere on this forum AS2004.5 delivers better (read: smoother) weather with Render To Texture off.Can you help me out?

Hi Arthur,Yes, DXT3 textures require RtT to be on.32 bit textures may look better, but I am not really an expert on that!Not sure about your PAI aircraft! Turn it off and see.Yes, there has been some discussions about that. RtT can cause FPS hits on many machines.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Popart

Jim,In fact, on my system (more my ATI 9800 XT) DXT3 textures look more sharp than 32 bit textures. That's why I have converted all 32 bit textures to DXT3 (nice job as you can imagine:-mad ). 32 Bit textures give me blurries.Anyway, when I turn off RtT the loading stops at 77%.All I want (or need) to know is if I am missing something in the weather engine (AS) when I have RtT turned on. If not, I'll leave things as they are now.Thanks :D

Guest Popart

Okay, thanks Jim. I was afraid of a busy weekend changing textures...:( I can live with the flickering (isn't really too bad).

Hi Arthur,Can you confirm you are on the latest video drivers, directX version, FS 9.1 and XP SP2? I had the same flickers (r2t on) but they ceased somewhere along the line of updates as above. Just checking!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Popart

Damian, are you talking about 2D panel flickering? I thought it was related to RtT somehow, but I have it only with 3rd party add-ons (like PMDG).As far as the latest drivers concern...I have the Catalyst 4.12, DirectX 9.0c, FS9.1 and XP SP2 installed. As far as I know I am up-to-date. Agree?But the flickering really isn't a big problem, as it only occur at transitions from dawn to day and from day to dusk.Thanks and keep up the good work (Build 163 is doing great sofar!!!)@Jim....sorry ;)

Guest thx1137

G'day,I have the same video card and driver setup as you Arthur. I have to enable Render to Texture otherwise FS restarts when it hits 77 percent. I needed render to texture because I installed FSWs DXT cloud set. I just tried it flying through a sunset and I don't get any flickering in my PMDG panel at all though none of my other textures a DXT.I can't se any quality difference but some of the cloud formations brought my machine down from 50-70 FPS to 16! (Using the Project Magenta cockpit software with the PMDG flight model, no PMDG panels)Regards, Steven.