Sign in to follow this  
Guest bobsk8

Downdrafts on ILS

Guest bobsk8

I have had this happen a couple of times in the last 2 weeks. I am flying an ILS and I always hand fly the ILS once on the Glide slope. At about 400-500 feet AGL, the aircraft that I am flying ( Constellation lately) suddenly starts a steep descent requiring almost all the up elevator I have plus full power to pull out. Now I attributed this to wake turbulence from an unseen large aircraft passing over the top of my aircraft, and didn't think any more of it. Lately, however, there is a fairly long thread on the newsgroup alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim entitiled "Active Sky downdrafts on approach", and several people are stating that they are having this exact same problem lately. It is always:People flying with Active SkyPilots that were on Autopilot and switched it off for approachSeveral people noticed the that the trim wheel is spinning wildly, even with the AP disengaged ( I didn't notice this, but will look from now on) Pausing the Sim, doesn't stop trim wheel from moving. My question is, is it possible the something in Active Sky is causing this phenomenon?

Hi Bob,First of all, could you post over there and ask those fine users to post their concerns here or through our e-mail system? We don't visit any newsgroups and we can't fix things if we are not aware of them. Thanks!!First suggestion: Disable all wake turbulence and see if this goes away.Second: Make sure you are using B147 or later.Third: See if a default plane does this.Please try these things out and let us know.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Edwin

Hi,I'm 99% certain that this is to do with wake turbulence. I used to have ths exact same problem with the PSS aircraft (A319/20/21 to the A330/340) and after I disabled wake turbulence, it all went away.Rather than blame ActiveSky for simulating a realistic experience, I place the responsibility squarely on FS9.1's ATC, which is unable to ensure that there's adequate spacing between aircraft to prevent wake turbulence from affecting aircraft. To be fair to MS however, no other ATC add-on that I'm aware of (including Radar Contact) is able to do that so for now, I've just switched off wake turbulence in AS2004.5. It's a shame but to me, that's still better than having the aircraft immediately dive into the sea 300ft prior to landing after a long flight. I have heard that RC4 will be AI-aware and I am eagerly awaiting its release to give it a try.Hope this helps.Edwin

Guest bobsk8

>Hi Bob,>>First of all, could you post over there and ask those fine>users to post their concerns here or through our e-mail>system? We don't visit any newsgroups and we can't fix things>if we are not aware of them. Thanks!!>>First suggestion: Disable all wake turbulence and see if this>goes away.>>Second: Make sure you are using B147 or later.>>Third: See if a default plane does this.>>Please try these things out and let us know.>>Hope this helps,>Jim>ActiveSky Support>http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpgI have suggested a couple of times for them to post here.. I even posted this morning that I was going to ask the question here and I added that so far, there was no mention of this problem on this Forum...I had it happen again today, going into LGA in my Lockheed Constellation, and as I looked out the windshield I saw the undercarriage of a A-320 go past me :) ( thanks to ATC, I might add) I also hit the pause key very quickly and the trim did keep moving even though the Sim was in pause. So it appears that it is definetly wake turbulence. Really good simulation by the way, my beloved Connie wound up doing a nose gear plant into the runway threshold. I hate when that happens..

Guest mavpat

Hi,i have the thame problem with the Aeroworx B200 AS4.5 and a ILS Approach at EDDS Germany. Just few meter from the runway goes the nose down and the plane crash into the ground. I stop the sim and use the slew mode lift the plane up to 3000 feet. It was not possible bringing the plane i a stable situation. The problem it the elevator trim. Can AS affect the trim?Regards MavPat

Hi,Actually, AS2004 has changed the wake effect to use trim to simulate roll/pitch effects, so yes, this sounds like wake effect to me!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I also experienced this for the first time yesterday. I was in the Aeroworx B200 on approach to YBTL some distance behind a Dash8 when the aircraft suddenly pitched down severly. Despite max up elevator & full throttle I had no chance of pulling up despite being about 500ft high to begin with. I had to use slew mode to rescue the situation. I remembered a thread on the Aeroworx forum some months ago where others had experienced the same problem & assumed it was the wake turbulence in AS2004 causing it. Have disabled it for the time being.Regards,Ross

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Hi,i had exact the same problem several time with various planes (PSS A330, iFDG A320, PIC ERJ-145) on various airports (omdb, lirf, eddt, eham). I tried everything to get that fixed but never thought of AS2004 causing this.I disabled wake effects and after doing this it didn't happened again till now. Great!Thanks for the info guys!janosch

Guest bonjourmoi44

The same happened to me on my first flight w/active sky. I was on final to Seattle international (I was landing 16R w/ another plane landing 16L). I must have crossed over his wake, and the rest is history. It is off now, and it is too bad that ATC can not space the planes further apart or prevent crossing wake paths. Maybe in the next version, because I like the idea of wake turbulence, very realistic for those who have experienced it.Cameron

Guest eddm

Hi,the same happened to me using PMDG 737NG on final on EDDM and severall other busy airports. I think this happened at about 300-400 feet over ground and if an AI was landing at about 4 nm or less prior my final on the same rwy. Using PMDG 737 NG in autoland mode it happened to me the autopilot disengage autmatically...."beep beep". At the beginning I thought this was the utilitiy "FSForce" using the trim-elevator and disengaging in this way the autopilot. But now I suppose this are the socalled "wake turb." Constantin

Guest bobsk8

I have had turbulence turned off in Active Sky for at least a week now, and since I turned it off, the problem has disappeared.