Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

Any known CTD with activesky it keeps crashing during updates for me?

I'm using b147 haven't updated yet, as I honestly don't seem to have any problems with it besides ctd, i used to get occasional ctd with previous builds but now its every flight.

Jim,I've been having the same problem with random CTDs for the past 4-6 weeks as well. I have tried both B147 and B163 with equal amounts of CTDs. You asked the following of the other post:>>Cloud texturesI use FSW 2004 with the HIFPS 32 bit 128k set>Scenery add onsNone...unless you count Ultimate Traffic's addon .bgl file>AFCAD filesNone added except for UT updated ones and have checked for dupes...none found>Bad driversLatest ATI Catalyst WHQL video and Santa Cruz sound card drivers installed>Firewall/Anti-virus situationsNo software firewall, I'm behind a router. Use AVG anti-virus.>Can you tell us why you think it is AS?No, I can't but I had VERY few CTDs (maybe once every 30-40 flights) prior to purchasing AS a couple of months ago and now it's a crap shoot whether I get through a single flight or not. That's the weird thing I guess, because occasionally it works great! I have installed the 9.1 patch and have also tried it by un-installing with equal success (or lack therof).>Hope this helps,Hope this info helps too! I'm beyond frustrated!!BillSystem specs: P4 2.8, 2-512 Corsair XMS, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro128.

Jim,I uninstalled AS and flew about 20-25 flights without a CTD and then had one the very next time. I also tried the seasonal change to Winter scenario that had been discussed and flew about 15 flights while forcing Summer season but also had a CTD. I had AS installed at that time as well. The CTDs have occurred during random phases of flight, different parts of the U.S., and with different aircraft/panel configurations.The errors (if I get them...usually I just get a black screen and then a reboot) include sim1.dll, g3d.dll, fs9.exe (hungapp). I have DirectX 9.0C installed and have run DxDiag with no error messages found.The crazy thing about this is that I had so few CTDs up until 6 weeks ago. I haven't added any add-ons except AS and I don't believe I am having any mobo or memory issues. I did a complete un-install of FS9 and reinstalled with the patch just in case there was a corrupted file somewhere. After doing that and reloading UT, FSW and AS the first flight out of the gate went CTD! Talk about frustration levels approaching the red line!!I'm out of ideas....how about anyone else?Thanks for any assistance,Bill

You wrote everything i was going to write i had all the same ctd you describe, i noticed that it crashes when asky updates itself. Btw can you explain the winter scenario you mentioned above briefly i'm just curious about this and haven't heard anything about it.

Hi Bill,You mentioned a re-boot in you last reply. Is that a re-boot of your entire system? If yes, then we need to look at your system, possibly a cooling problem. FS is a pretty taxing program and when you add the things you have, then it pushes hardware to the limit. Let's try this: if it is safe for you remove your case cover and run a bit. I know this is not ideal if you have pets or young children around. See if things improve.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Jim,Yes it reboots the entire system. I use ABITEQ to monitor various temps, voltages, fan rpm, etc. I've got the CPU max temp limit set to 85C and the SYS and PWM temps to 70C. I should get a beep if any of these values are reached and have not. I'll take off the side and see if it helps...anything is worth a try at this point! One item I forgot to add that could be a problem although it wasn't until these past 6 weeks is my CPU is OC'd to 3.2 from 2.8. I am running stock voltage to the memory and have not OC'd either memory or the vid card.I'll try the side off for a bit more cooling and if I still get a CTD I'll back off the OC. I just don't know why it would create a problem now when I have been running at 3.2 for 6+ months.Joe...the seasonal CTD was an issue that was supposedly fixed with the 9.1 update. Many people were having problems with CTDs when the FS season switched from fall to winter. I think the jury is still out on whether the update corrected the problem or not.Bill

Jim,Well, just a quick follow-up....I removed the side of the case and loaded up FS along with AS and flew uneventfully for 30 minutes and all of a sudden at FL330...the dreaded CTD! It just flashed back to the desktop without any error message and there I was staring at my desktop where a B727 panel had been just a second before. AS was still running in the background for what it's worth. I checked the temps and all 3 were below 51.3C so I don't think cooling was a factor. Could it have been AS trying to update WX or not? I can't believe this is happening so frequently. Maybe I should try B163 again?I'm using FSUIPC ver 3.44 (unreg) and always clear the weather via FSUIPC before launching AS. This is getting real old!! Bill

Guest JimBrown

Bill,Just a suggestion here. Now that you have the cover off, have you had a look at the CPU fan? Is it dirty (dusty)? Perhaps you may want to try removing the fan and heat sink and giving it a thorough cleaning. Don't forget to clean the CPU as well and use some new thermal paste when replacing the fan and heat sink. Also have a look at any other fans (chipset, video) in the system.I realize that you mentioned above tha the CPU temperature has not gone up by much, but it is possible that you are reaching the limit for the particular CPU that you have, even if said temperature is below spec. The symptoms you have outlined sound very much like some piece of your hardware is starting to get flakey. Keep in mind that as hardware ages, it becomes less able to accomodate said specs.Another area to check is spyware/adware/hijackers. Have you run Adaware or Spybot or even the new MS Antispyware?Good luck!...jim

Hi all,When you try without AS running, you ARE running with a set of appropriate weather, correct?If you just turn off all wx or use basic themes you're not really testing things properly...The best bet when trying to isolate AS is to run FS without AS and turn on FS9 real-world weather.I suspect the same problems will occur. Make sure you are using either default FS9 clouds or FSSW clouds with appropriate Render-to-texture setting. DXT textures need render to texture ON, otherwise the system will CRASH upon setting a cloud layer with a DXT texture. Make sure you are using a totally STOCK FS9 setup with no addons otherwise there is no way to isolate to AS.We really are at our wits end with crash problems and FS9. We have probably spent hundreds of hours the past couple months helping many folks with crash problems, and EVERY TIME, AS is never the problem. In this case, as the dozens of times before, I am 99.9% sure that the problem will be with the cloud textures, video driver problem, or other hardware problem. One important thing to note, these issues are USUALLY more prominent when the weather is set as per real-world (via FS9 real wx or AS). I suspect that is why we often get blamed...Sure there is a possibility that it really is AS's fault (would be the first time, but anything is possible) and we will do whatever we can to solve the problem if that is the case, but please understand our position and inability to help "fix anything" unless AS is confirmed directly related to the problem. So... please try the test with FS real world weather and let us know the results... And we'll take it from there.. Thanks!Best,Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Jim,Thanks for the advice. I'll give the innards a good dusting! I run both SpyBot and AdaWare on a weekly basis so I think that possibility is pretty much eliminated. This system is only about 10 months old. All components were brand new and the only problem I've had with CTD is FS and as I said before it just started 6 or so weeks ago. Maybe something is going bad or maybe it is just some kind of bad match between software, add-ons, and my config. A lot of maybes, huh?I'm going to take down the OC on the CPU under 3.0 to see if that helps....other than that I guess I may be S.O.L.I'll let you know and thanks to all for any advice!Bill

Guest jerel2k4

I am getting the same form of CTD's. No error message. The next time you get the CTD please go to your event viewer and look in the application logs. See if you get any events at the time of the CTD. I have another post on this forum. Unfortunately, the event messages do not have a source ( ) application in the ( ). I only get this when I run flight simulator. I am troubleshooting my installation as well. I have cleaned up my aircraft folder (AI) with incorrect entries, duplicate titles, missing texture, missing air files, etc. BTW, AI Schedule is a great program as it will search your aircraft directory for this missing information.Thanks,JerelP.S. I notice that I get a couple of strange stutters, not microstutters, but 2 - 3 abnormal stutters before I get the CTD. I do not know what is causing this but I am looking at everything.

I get your stutters too right before the ctd. Btw i too have incomplete information for aircraft in the aircraft folder not necessarily AI but maybe your right, i wonder how many other may have so much information in that folder which maybe the culprit.

Guest jerel2k4

Go and download AI Schedule here... http://hem.passagen.se/rudhan/AISchedule/Index.htmTry it out. I had 16 pages worth of incorrect entries, duplicate aircraft names, missing texture folders, etc.Also, does your Addon Scenery folder have a scenery and texture subfolder? I only have AFCAD2's in my Addon Scenery/Scenery folder.Thanks!Also what does your event viewer show for the time when the sim crashed?