Sign in to follow this  
Guest secks

AS 4.5 and Turbulence

Guest secks

I know this issue has been beaten to death. However, I'd like to see an option for light to moderate turbulence incorporated into AS. By turbulence, I do NOT mean rapid wind shifts which cause drastic attitude changes (a topic of much complaint until recent versions of AS). To get an idea of what I mean, set up a wind layer in FS, and set the turbulence to light or moderate. Your aircraft will gently rock and shake. It's a great effect, as you will rarely encounter placid atmosphere in reality. What do you guys think?Carl

Guest secks

Jim,I read Pete's response. The FSUIPC turbulence option is apparently quite toned down. I didn't even notice turbulence with this option checked, even with the turbulence value doubled in fs9.cfg. For the record, all that turb value does is scale up _already existing_ turbulence. The whole problem is reliably injecting turbulence into wind to begin with. I tried a 1 sec wind drift rate at KSBN to no avail. I noticed no change in the wind, and even if it did change, I don't think it would replicate turbulence as it is set in the FS weather menu (bona fide FS turbulence can be experienced in even 0 knot wind). I was under the impression that adding FS turbulence to a wind layer is as simple as setting a value between 1 and 4 in the proper field for each wind layer.. seems like a pretty simple feature to implement in the next version of AS. What do you think?Carl

Carl,Please don't take this the wrong way OK? I understand what you are asking about. I don't pretend to be a programmer, but I was generally involved last summer when together, Pete and Damian and the beta team worked through all this. The bottom line is that in FS turbulence is modeled by changes in the wind direction for external weather programs. This is hard coded into FS04 and as we know doesn't work too good. The problem is that there is no middle ground. I don't think we can do both, have smooth wind changes and turbulence. If you really want to go back to the old winds then disable FSUIPC wind control in AS. I hope I am wrong!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest secks

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I figured that turbulence was something FS treated independent of wind. What you say makes sense, since Pete's FSUIPC can't do wind smoothing AND turbulence. Although it's strange that you can get turb with no wind set! Perhaps the rapid fluctuations are hidden behind the scenes. Oh well, thanks for explaining.On a related note, how is the Wind Drift Rate setting supposed to work? I set it to 1 sec and observed no wind drift according to the Shift-Z wind readout. Are there special conditions for the drift thing to work? Thanks for your help.Carl