Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tomlin

Wake Turbulence???

Guest Tomlin

I believe that wake turb. is modeled, but does anyone know to what degree? Meaning is the severity of the wake turb. dependant on the size/weight of the aircraft?I ask because today, somthing happend to me in FS that has not happend in a very long time-I crashed. I have no explanation for what happened. I was flying into KMCO Orlando Intl and was on short final. Visibility was extrememly low, but being daylight I know that I didnt hit an obstruction. The last thing I remember before losing control of the aircraft (PMDG 737NG w/winglets) was that I was on final and the airspeed wouldnt slow down. In fact twice now since I have installed AS2004.5 3 days ago I have had weird problems with the airspeed shifting wildly and unexpected. Anyhow, since I was down around 3000 feet I used the speed brake to slow down to a resonable flap speed per the Vref from FMS and the speed went from @ 210IAS to around 130KIAS imediately and then the plane basically fell out of the sky. Then a thought entered my mind. One of the last things I saw was an aircraft, possibly a 737 or MD88 or 757 emerged out of the cloud in front of me. The plane's AP disconnected on its own, speed dropped, and I was trying to assess the situation as to initiate go-around or not. By this time I was losing altitude, airspeed and hope. I pulled the gear up and went to full throttle. Five seconds later AT flight 121 was in the ground. Keep in mind that I have spent approx 40-50 hours on the PMDG 737 and have only crashed it once, right after I bought it, on a 'ab-initio' flight getting used to it. Since then, no problems ever. So, help me solve this mystery. Did the aircraft in front of me cause wake turbulence that caused my crash or did adverse, shifting wind cause me to lose lift and fall out of the sky? Both maybe?PS-Im not blaiming AS2004.5 for this, I am very happy with it so far but on another note, I did notice twice today that although it did show noticibly better cloud formations, it didnt smooth wx changes at all for some reason. Yes, Ive read the manual, and yes I WILL read it again. thanks for the thoughts, Eric T737NG builderwww.freewebs.com/flightlevel180

Guest bobsk8

Good way to learn about wake turbulence in FS9 rather than a real aircraft :)

Guest Tomlin

So, I am safe to write that off to wake turbulence? I have learned a good lesson. After nearly 1300 hours in FS it finally happened! Not that it's a good thing but like what was said, I have learned from it. Here's another thing I learned. If the A/P automatically disconnects and you are on short final, no matter what the reason, you should start initiating a go around if possible (unless there's a fire on board, extremely low fuel, a dead turbine spinning in the wind, etc.)At least that's my lesson. thanks,Eric

Guest _sebastian_

>So, I am safe to write that off to wake turbulence?Yes I believe so, as wind shear is not simulated. But it depends on the wake category of the preceding aircraft. Was it light, medium or heavy? Please know that wake turbulence is a serious safety hazard IRL also as it can almost completely destroy the airflow over the following aircraft's wings. Try to replicate the procedure and land with a very heavy aircraft (747 or 380). If it is less serious there, then it's almost certainly a wake turbulence incident you encountered.Edit: you can also try to follow in close proximity of an aircraft on final. You will experience quite a shaking there that disengages the PMDG NG autopilot. But with a heavy aircraft the turb isn't so bad./seb

Guest Popart

I have encountered wake turbulence more than once. One time I ended up in a spin going down (this happened at 30.000 feet, so I could recover). Another time I dropped 300 feet down, see attached picture, when I got close to another (bigger) airplane.Most of the times it happened though was on final approaches. It is no fun flying 200 feet above ground when the autopilot suddenly disconnects and you start a dive to the ground! It happened too often, so I disabled wake turbulence all together. It's a shame, because I like this option of AS. I blame ATC, because they vector you too close to the plane in front of you, or you are overtaken at final approach by another plane, coming from behind.Jim, is it possible (in a future build) to enable wake turbulence above a certain altitude only? This way, we'll have the suspense of it when flying at safe high altitudes and don't have to worry about it on our landings. Just a thought....fsscr081.JPG

Guest BenBaron

Hi Jim,just one question about Wake Turbulences: I encountered them some times flying with default AI-traffic of MSFS. Will it also work flying online on IVAO (IVAP), or not?

Guest Ken Greenwood

I encountered a wake turbulence event while flying on the VATSIM networkyahoo thought it'd be 'cool' to buzz me while I was climbing out of Vancouver in the PMDG737-700. Aircraft rolled roughly 65* left and went into a fairly sharp descent. I regained control - thanked the fellow via private message - and went on my way