Sign in to follow this  

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim,Thanks for the prompt response.I am running Sygate Personal Firewall in the normal status and a fully updated Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro. I also regularly run XoftSpy for adware/spyware. I have scanned my machine for viruses. I took turns to switch each of these off and tried wxRE. I then completely switched Windows Firewall OFF. I even manually added ActiveSky in the Windows Firewall "Exceptions". Again, the same: the program will just timeout trying to connect to the Aloft server. I do only get the local (active) metar of where my FS2002 sits at the time (with some bad fonts underneath) and that is all...All this is strange as it was working fine some days ago. Did I change something without realising?Greg

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim and thanks for your support!I tried a complete un-install/re-install of wxRE+update and I even re-configured FSUIPC, FS and wxRE from scratch. It will download the offline weather files but will not read the winds (message "Winds Get Request - Problem Reading offline wx files -please check your files or re-dowload a new set" which I do to no avail). When I go to on-line mode (with "start wxRE paused" checked) it will try to download winds aloft and then it will go "no usable wind details -trying another station etc" and then "download timeout" to finish with "There is a communications problemn with the aloft server - etc".I have also seen "Cloud layer conflict in metar, skipping transition...":-zhelp Greg

Guest Greg Economou

>Can you>double check the version number in the lower right of the main>window?It is still v.1.92.4Greg:-hang

Hi Greg,Anything else change on your system before this started? New modem, router, install SP2, new ISP? It's still a connection problem. I've let wxRE run since we started 90 minutes ago with no timeouts. I'm just trying to suggest things that have come up in the past!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim,I do not recall running any major upgrades between the last time the program worked fine (3 weeks ago) and when the problem was noticed (10 days ago), including anything that would affect my internet connection. Everything else worls fine. I did however try to bring my system back to an earlier restore point, unsucessfully. I subsequently did another complete unistallation of wxRE, running FS on its own, clearing all weather, cleaning out the registries and re-installing wxRE+v.1.94.2 clean on my system.The program will install fine.Let's leave the on-line/live mode for a moment. I have described in detail how the program behaves there in my earlier post.Let's try the OFFLINE mode. I go to the offline mode and run the default weather cycle which installs automatically (defcycle*Z.* with winds etc). This runs fine and the winds and everything else are read ok, the weather loads fine within FS, no problems.I then try to download the current weather (the cycle*Z.* files with winds etc)in the offline mode. It seems to download all 4 files ok and gives the "downloaded cycle ready" -or something- message. But when I select the new cycle and try and run it, it immediately pops-up the "winds Get Request -Problem reading wx files -redownload cycle etc". Despite the fact that the program recognises where the FS sits and the correct nearest associated metar station, it will start looking at neighbouring wx stations, starting from the closest one and spiraling outwards!!! This seemingly takes for ever... so I usually stop the process. I took a look at the actual cycle files it had downloaded. The freshly downloaded cycle files are usually one-half to one-third the size of the corresponding default cycle files (for example, defult winds are approx 1.5MB while the current cycle winds are about 256KB). Is this normal?So we know know this:There seems to be nothing wrong with the internet connection: everything else is not blocked, wxRE is not blocked because it does connect to the servers and starts downloading stuff, the files it downloads just seem to be corrupted though, smaller or incomplete and this is probably what causes the program to hang in the on-line/live mode.The program was purchased on 23/2/2004 and runs with FSUIPC 2.975Thanks Jim!Greg.

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim,>I wonder if Norton is blocking or changing anything?I shall check Norton again later tonight, although I have already tried by completely deactivating it (as well as all firewalling on my machine) to no avail.Greg

Guest Greg Economou

3GreenThanks for taking the time to post your experience!Ten days ago, I was actually triggered to go and check that wxRE worked after a fellow flightsimmer friend asked me whether mine worked: his had hung up! He was experiencing the very same problems that I subsequently discovered in mine!He gave up trying and has since moved on to a different weather program (I am not saying which out of respect for this forum and for the developpers of an honest and actually quite nice program -when it worked!:(). I would like to try and make it work but I fear I will be running out of things to try soon despite Jim's wholehearted support here...Greg:-violin

Guest Greg Economou

I am running wxRE v.1.92.4 for FS2002 with FSUIPC 2.975It's been about about 10 days now that refreshing ActiveSky produces a message that "There is a communications problem with the Aloft server. Please use offline mode or try again later -the problem will most likely correct itself soon" and then metar reporting and winds aloft will just hang initialising forever...Any help appreciated.

Hi Greg,Even though it is not widely used, wxRE is still used by a fair number of simmers. If there was a problem beyond a few machines and setups you would see a number of threads of users seeking help with the same kinds of things.It saddens us when users have problems and NEVER contact us. Then they pop in and spread their sad tales for all to read. Are we perfect? No. Is software written 3 years ago always going to work 100% of the time with today's software? Nope. But we continue to spread our message of how to contact us for help, spend hours here and through e-mails; solving problems with everything from Panda AV, to video drivers, to 3rd party cloud textures, to message scrolling problems in FS, to anti-icing issues that are not even ours, to flight plan conversions which we have nothing to do with. Did your friend post anything here? Did he e-mail us? No, he did not. So how were we going to help him?Rant over.Now, I will continue to make suggestions as long as you are willing to try them out! But, I will rest easy that you did whatever you could to make things work and if someday you post your experiences I'll understand that you and I made an honest effort to get to the bottom of this.My next suggestion is to totally uninstall Norton AV.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim,Your support is both expected and forthcomming and remains within the confines of appropriate professionalism, otherwise I would not be posting here in good faith! Your support is however also greatly appreciated, over and beyond your "call of duty"!I can understand "my friend" or anyone else for chosing not to pursue a problem fix here or elsewhere, beyond what he, himslef was capable of administering unto his own system, since he perhaps thought that this is a hobby and entertainment time is too precious to waste working on system fixes. I on the other hand, have so far chosen to come here and spend a few of my man-days and man-hours (and yours too!:) ) to try and see what went wrong.Counter-Rant also over :-lol I did completely uninstal Norton Antivirus (2004) as well as Sygate Personal Firewall from my system. I even cleaned up the registries. I re-run FS2002 and then wxRE. Still, exactly the same behaviour as has been previously described, both in the offline and the online modes.Greg----------------VATSIM EuropeRegion Conflict Resolution PanelChairman