Sign in to follow this  

Guest Greg Economou

Hello there Jim,Yes, I can successfully connect to both of the sites that you proposed.I agree that it seems that something is corrupting whatever files I try to download from the servers. What kind of file sizes should I expect to get in the offline mode?My connection is ISDN 128kbps from a well established ISP in Athens, Greece.Greg----------------VATSIM EuropeRegion Conflict Resolution PanelChairman

Guest Greg Economou

Well, there we are then...It's definately not Norton and it's not the firewalling. The only files that make the program work are the default metars that are loaded on installation. Everything else that program attempts to download (either on-line or off-line) is corrupted (and much smaller in size) or timed out.Greg

Hi Greg,So now the question is kind of the same as before: What, on your specific system is blocking this? It's not the servers. It's not your Internet service, connection, or firewall. It's not Norton. It's not your install of wxRE. Are you using IE as your browser?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Greg Economou

> Are you using IE as your browser?Hi Jim,Yes, IE Version 6.0.2900.2180...on WindowsXP Professional (5.01.2600)with SP2Greg

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim, Problem solved!!! Mark it for your troubleshooting manuals *:-* When I went in to check the IE settings for something Jim suggested that I had no idea what it was, how to set it or where to find it :( ("whether IE was set to work offline) I saw that in the tools -> internet options card there was a tab marked "Connections". I pressed it and found myself in a card that concerned my dialup connections: I could set them up, I could add/remove them and I could configure various settings: so I pressed "settings..." on my dialup connection and found myself in a card that amongst other usual settings, had the option to check whether to use a proxy server. That was checked!!! in favour of something called "turbo.myISP.**" server! It was obviously part of a free service by my ISP to speed up my browsing or something that I had obviously opted for at some stage without realising. I unchecked it and... hey presto!!! wxRE went back to normal!!!Conclusions:a) When checking Internet connections, check bothstart-> settings-> network connections -> -> properties BUT also check its properties in the browser options!!! Basically ALWAYS CHECK FOR PROXY SERVERS FIRST!!!:( Proxy servers affect things. However, in this case wxRE was the only thing affected from the dozen programs that run on my PC, for some reason. I guess this is what set the trail off-course for a while there.Thanks for the help Jim! :-beerchug Greg----------------VATSIM EuropeRegion Conflict Resolution PanelChairman

Hi Greg,Well, that is great news! I know your friend moved on to another program, but I wonder if any of these things were his problem also. I hope you will have good words to spread about our program on that side of the globe!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Greg Economou

Hi Jim,They probably were his problem also. In any case I have already posted in the two major FS community mailing lists down this part of the world that a solution has been found, with links to this thread for details.Good work!Greg----------------VATSIM EuropeRegion Conflict Resolution PanelChairman