Sign in to follow this  
Guest FloridaAviator

Can I use METAR data from NOAA site in AS?

Guest FloridaAviator

I like to simulate my flights as realistically as possible and use the weather for the time of day that I am flying. Since most of my flight simulator time is available in the evening, but the flights I like to fly are day time flights, I would like a way to incorporate weather from the middle of the day into AS. I have not purchased the product yet (but am considering it). I read the manual on line and it appears as though the AS servers only archive weather data 4 times a day. Is there a way that I can import METAR data from an external site (such as NOAA) for a particular reporting time during the day?Thanks for the help,Dave

Hi Dave,Thanks for your interest in our product! A few ways: yes, one way is the archived method you mentioned. In the future we hope to have a system of hourly archives. Another would be to fire up AS during the day and save any weather file and then use that file at night. At work with a computer with Internet? Install AS on the work computer and download and save to a floppy. FS04 would not need to be installed on the work computer. Then you can take the floppy home and load the file and weather from the daytime.No other ways of importing from another site.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest FloridaAviator

Thanks Jim ... yes, this does help! I only have one other follow on question. Is it possible to set up automatic downloads of weather on a periodic basis (like once an hour) while I'm away from my home computer, or do the weather downloads need to be carried out manually? Thanks again for your help!Dave