Sign in to follow this  
Clipper Ocean Spray

How to Prevent Weather Updates on Final Approach ?

Hi, could anyone share a configuration setting that prevents or at least minimizes the chances that ActiveSky will start a weather update when I'm on final approach and about to touch down? :-zhelpI'm just trying to minimize stuttering while I'm on final approach, during which time a consistent, smooth framerate really helps. If the weather updates start while I'm on final, I'll notice a decrease in framerates and increased stuttering, especially at more complex airports. The weather updates will then continue on while I'm on the ground, even though I have ground updates disabled.I'm using B173, all ground updates disable, and 12000 ft/100 nm suppression. //AS2004.5 configuration file B173[General]WindowPosX = 5580WindowPosY = 6090DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 12000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 100MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 59IncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = TrueExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 30VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -5AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONELastPlanFolder = C:Documents and SettingsGreg1My DocumentsFlight Simulator Files

Hi,Strange, updates should not occur given your settings when under 12,000ft. It may be because your 30 minute update setting and cruise speed and/or use of increased simulation rate. When flying at high speed, you may cover more ground than a 30 minute update can successfully populate with full coverage. If you encounter a situation where a current wx station is not populated, AS will force a refresh regardless of suppression settings, because it NEEDS that data to properly operate. Please try the update inverval at 5 or 10 minutes and let us know if that prevents this problem. Might not be related but worth a shot! Thanks..

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks for the tips. Sorry to get back so late. I was having some unrelated problems that delayed me in performing another test flight.I think the tips helped. I changed the update interval to 10 minutes and set ForceDestinationWeatherZone=True. I also changed the suppression to 8000 ft (halfway between my original 12,000 and Jim's suggestion of 4000 ft).I ran a similar test flight again with the new settings and the weather updates finished much sooner after my final approach and landing. So, this indicates to me that more of the weather updates occurred before final, which is a step in the right direction. :-)I think if I bump up the suppression to 12000 or higher in combination with the other setting changes above, I might be able to get the weather updates to complete before I turn onto final. My test flight was in a 727 on a direct STAR approach into KORD (Chicago O