Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fritz

AS going the wrong way around the globe

Guest Fritz

Hi,Active Sky occasionally chooses to interpret a flight plan properly logged and saved within FS9 the wrong way around the globe:MSFS - LOGL to LOGM, Hdg 354, Distance 25.6 nm (correct)FSNav - LOGL to LOGM, Hdg 356, Distance 14.1 nm (similar)AS - LOGL to LOGM, MC/MH 11, Distance 2,972.2 nm (!)How can I persuade AS to choose a more direct route?Fritz

Guest Fritz

I believe that somebody wrote me a direct email in this matter - unfortunately, I destroyed it in a quick spam-clearup-session!Could the sender repeat the message, please?Fritz

Hi,Very stange.. it appears something is wrong with the data for either LOGL or LOGM. Can you please post the correct lat/lon for each airport and I will verify against the databases? Thanks a bunch!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Fritz

Hi,LOGL: N47*33.3938 E15*19.3201LOGM: N47*47.3923 E15*18.0250It appears that the "bug" only occurs with specific airports contained in add-on sceneries. In my case, I have Austria Pro and Austrian Airports - both commercial and reputable add-ons. I am also enclosing the respective *.bgl files of the two locations.I could live with a fault in these sceneries (in which case I should rather turn to their authors), but what really bothers me is the fact that both FS9 and FSNavigator read these files correctly, Active Sky finds the proper weather info source and then makes a mess of the route calculation.Fritz

Guest Fritz

Sorry, Jim - overzealous spam-filter! Please try again.In the meantime I found out a little more about AS's weird route logic:1. I create a flight plan in FS9, say LOGM (= Mariazell, a small non-standard airport in Austria) to EDDM (= Munich, Germany).2. I call up AS, which correctly identifies a METAR station near to the departure airport (LOAN = Wr. Neustadt), downloads weather info and correctly displays LOAN as the METAR source3. I call AS/New Route and import this flightplan4. AS decides to use another starting point (DGAA = Kotoka Intl., Accra, GHANA) and the correct destination point (EDDM). The distance between Ghana, Africa and Munich, Germany might well amount to the indicated 1,700 nm. To the people in Ghana, however, a temperature of minus 13 deg. centigrade and heavy snowfall must come as some surprise ... :)DGAA appears to be the default airport for AS when it loses its sense of orientation - another small non-standard Austrian airport produced the same effect.Help!Fritz

Guest Fritz

Jim,I didn't know AS uses its own airport database1. is it the text file "complete_airport_list.txt" ?2. yes, my little airports are missing in this list3. may I amend the list manually?Fritz

Hi,This could be the source of the whole problem:that AS has no idea where these airports are. Honestly I am not sure if that would do it, but it can't hurt to try. Follow the format of the other entries and add your missing airports to the bottom of the list and see what happens.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Fritz

Jim,I did it and it works like a charm! Many thanks!Fritz

Fritz,Thanks for your work and investigations. As I use the same scenerey (AP2004+AAP2004) it would be nice, if you could post your attached lines here.In addition it would be fine, if you could inform the AAP Team so that they could publish the data to add for all their additional airports in their FAQ section on the website.RegardsReinhardmailto:r.brantner@gmx.at

Guest Fritz

Hi Reinhard,I am attaching the full segment of Austrian Airports. You should insert it into "complete_airport_list.txt" between the airports LMML and LPAR.One could also attach it to the end of the list, but then you would have to manually delete existing entries further up and you would break the alphabetical order - a nightmarish thought when you consider the possibility of further amendments.Thank you for the idea of approaching AAP on this as well, I'll follow it up gladly!Fritz