Sign in to follow this  
Guest gasebah

Display problem after installing Windows XP service pac

Hi to everyone :-hahYesterday I've installed the service pack for Windows XP and now I'm having problems with my display in FS2002. When I load a scenery for the first time everything looks OK, but when I return to FS2002 after starting a program in Windows, let say active sky, everything looks messed up. The upper part of the scenery is filled with parts of my desktop and the scenery doesn't work anymore. See the attached picture below. I'm running windows in 1280*960*32 and FS also in 1280*960*32. I tried to uninstall my display drivers and then install them again, but that doesn't work either.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3dfba3334e371ec8.jpgHave you seen this problem before, or do you know where this problem is related to, please reply, because it's driving me nuts :)THX in advance!Some system specs.Pentium 4 2,4768 MB RAMAsus GeForce4 Ti4400Detonator 41.03 driversWindows XP HomeJasper http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de267cd2e0b7ebb.gifhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3de2665428878859.jpg

. It solved some display problems for me. It's still a beta though.

Funny, I just started having the same problem all of a sudden. My screen looks exactly like yours. I did discover that if I hit CTR-ENTER to go to windowed mode, then return to full-screen the screen clears right up and all is fine. I have been using SP1 since it came out and had no problems until yesterday. I have reinstalled video drivers and tried both 40.72 and 30.82 detonators with no fix. I also uninstalled all add ons I installed over the last few days (RCv3, WideFS and FSGenesis Landclass) with no change. It is not a major problem, just an annoyance for now, since the switch to windowed mode and return full-screen helps.

I use an ATI 7500 card, but I get the same thing when changing modes.

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,I suddenly ran into the same problem. Everything worked fine until this morning, and suddenly it was there. Same as you described it, go back to windowed mode and to fullscreen from there - problem gone.I un- and reinstalled all drivers back to 6.50 :-).I wrote a new fs2002.cfg.I deleted almost any display related registry entries and still have the problem.I was just wondering

Guest gasebah

I am wondering if this in any way virus related. I had a download.trojan on my HD yesterday. Removed it with Norton almost immediately but had to delete winv.exe to get rid of it. The computer seems to run fine except for that problem though. The problem is that now I cannot do any system, restores as the file is gone.Alex

Guest WorkingStiff

Norton does not do a good job with trojan; in fact it frequently misidentifies trojans.You need a specialized trojan remover like TDS-3. http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

Guest gasebah

Thx fr the advice.But obviously Norton did a good job. TDS also found no trojan files that might have been left.Alex

Guest WorkingStiff

How did it do a good job if you had to delete an important Windows file? There are other trojan removers that can easily repair the affected file and do not require deleting the file.An excellent trojan detector/remover is BOClean.As an example of what I'm talking about, Norton misidentifies Bugbear worm and will tell you a Windows file is infected and that it was deleted. But whenever you reboot you'll continue to get an alert that the file was infected and deleted. If the file is really deleted then you shouldn't be getting repeated warnings.The actual infected file is not a Windows file; the trojan is an executable file called "explore.exe" which buries itself in the Windows?/System directory and mimics a Windows file by writing to the registry.

Guest gasebah

>How did it do a good job if you had to delete an important Windows >file? There are other trojan removers that can easily repair the >affected file and do not require deleting the file.You are right about that. But at least I am happy that I had something on my computer that detected the virus. Do you know what winv.exe does? Can I copy it back in the Windows folder from my 2nd computer or will that do more harm than good?Alex

Guest WorkingStiff

Remember that the software is called "Norton Antivirus" and not Norton Anti-trojan for a reason.Are you using Windows XP? You can copy the file from another computer but your best bet would be to restore it from your CD.

Guest gasebah

Yes, I am using WinXP. Can you give me a hint what would be the easiest way to restore it from the CD? Would I have to use the repair console, or is there an easier way?Alex

Guest WorkingStiff

Try using the System File Checker first.Go to Start/Run and then type SFC in the box titled Open. You may have to log on as administrator to make it work though.