Sign in to follow this  
billhuntsman

Incorrect distances in Nav Log

I noticed something strange in my Nav Log printout for a flight from Kunming China (ZPPP) to Chabua India (VECA). The FSNav flightplan lists the flight 509 miles. I exported the plan to FS and then imported it into Active Sky (latest version). When I print out the Nav Log it has all the correct waypoints and distances except for the last one, the arrival airport VECA. It should have been 4.7 miles from the previous NDB, but Active Sky's log gives a distance of 3389 miles. The ID is still listed as VECA. I thought that maybe the FSNav plan had been imported incorrectly by FS9, but that is not the case. The MS Nav Log agrees with FSNav.A similar problem happened with a previous flight from VEOF to ZPPP, except that this time the disparity was between the starting airport VEOF and the first waypoint. Instead of only a mile or so, the ActiveSky nav log showed the distance as 2559 miles. Again, neither the original FSNav nor the Microsoft Nav Log showed anything unusual.I haven't tried flights in other regions of the world to know if this problem occurs anywhere else or not. Any idea what is going on?

Hi Bill,Neither airport is in any of the AS databases. In fact the weather snapshot doesn't even contain the weather for these airports. I would say that AS has no idea where those are at, so it can't display the proper distances.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hi Jim,I guess that is the problem. The flights used add-on scenery that put some WWII airfields in. As long as this problem does not occur for "normal" airports, then it is no big deal. Thanks for the help.Bill

Hi Bill,One more thing that I thought of: If you knew the data for the airports in question you could add the airports yourself. Add then to the airport list and the weather station list. No weahter will be pulled, but your nav log might be more accurate.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Jim,I noticed the same thing on a flight yesterday; KABE - KMEM. Both are in the database and the flight distance was 5589 miles. Obviously, that's a bit long. In spite of the peculiar distance reading, the flightplan was processed correctly and the weather was right on...DJ

I'll see what I can do as soon as I get a chance...Thanks,DJ

OK, my bad... the distance was computed correctly in the flight plan and displayed on the top of the main AS GUI window. However, when I ended FS, the distance was displayed incorrectly and that's what I noticed. So you can mark this down as another stupid user trick!DJ :+