Sign in to follow this  
Guest AlanRobertson

CTD's

Guest AlanRobertson

I've tried everything possible to get Activesky to work properly since I purchased the product in December but it continually causes a CTD in around 50% of flights. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it, I've removed or disabled all addons, I've installed the latest drivers for my video card, I've even uninstalled and reinstalled FS9 itself. All to no avail. FS9 works perfectly using the built in weather options including the Real Weather downloads but Activesky is causing the program to CTD. Having read all the previous posts on this subject and the FAQ's and acted on all that were relevant I am now completely stumped as to where I go now to fix this problem once and for all. Help!:-hmmm

Hi,Sorry you are having trouble. Need to specifically know:Any 3rd party clouds?Sound driver up to date?Any error messages at all?Happens in one particular area or all over the globe?Tried with Render to Texture set On and Off?What build of AS and what version of FSUIPC?Please let us know and we'll try to help.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest AlanRobertson

Jim,Many thanks for your reply. I've answered your questions below. Now that I've installed a new sound driver I'll test AS again thoroughly. Unfortunately, I need to go away for a couple of days so it's likely to be the weekend now before I can give a definitive response as to whether that has fixed the problem or not. I'll get back to you then.>Any 3rd party clouds?No >Sound driver up to date?No. I've downloaded the latest this morning.>Any error messages at all?No>Happens in one particular area or all over the globe?All over.>Tried with Render to Texture set On and Off?Yes. When it's off and I start up Activesky then FS9 CTD's immediately. When it's on then the CTD's are as described in my original post.>What build of AS and what version of FSUIPC?Latest AS build 174 and FSUIPC 3.45 but the same problems occurred with the previous buld.

Guest AlanRobertson

Hi Jim,Well, it hasn't taken me until the weekend to thoroughly test AS after installing up to date sound card drivers - my first flight this evening went pear-shaped, i.e CTD, after about half an hour of flying. So I think I can safely say that hasn't worked. Any other ideas how I can fix this?

Guest allblack

Hi Jim,I might try that too. Had a beautfiful flight from Nagoya to Tokyo last night, 30nm out with AS, and the sky flashed and brightened a bit (it was early morning), and then I'm looking at a black screen. And still looking at a black screen.After I got a bollocking from the missus for swearing in front of the kids, the only way out was CTRL-ALT-DELETE.I was a tad annoyed...CheersTimPS: AS looked stunning when it was working though!

Guest JimBrown

Regarding reinstalling video drivers, if you are not aware of it, I recommend Driver Cleaner to completly remove all remnants of your video driver prior to reinstalling. This has solved video problems for me in the past.The free version is here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htmI use this program whenever I update my video drivers as well. It always finds remnants even after using the video drivers own uninstall program.Regards,...jim

Guest AlanRobertson

Hi Jim,Reinstalled video drivers yesterday morning and have had 2 long-haul flights without incident i.e. no CTD. I'm not counting my chickens just yet though. I'll need to get a few more under my belt first before I'm confident that this has fixed the problem. I'll keep you informed so watch this space....................

Guest AlanRobertson

Jim,Oh well, it was looking good for a while there with quite a few successfully completed flights but I'm afraid that tonight's jaunt has gone AWOL with another CTD. What now? Any ideas?:-hmmm

Hi Alan,These CTD problems are hard to isolate. We get so many reports (in the end, never due to AS) that we have actually officially stopped supporting such problems... (but we still try to help as much as we can).What I would suggest is doing a clean FS9 install, starting with 1 add-on at a time (FSUIPC and AS2004.5 first), then add your add-ons back until you can isolate it.Before you add any add-ons, try FS9 with default real-world wx and fly in an area with some wx/clouds. This is the real stress test. If it's CTD'ing without any add-ons then it is probably somewhere in the video card/driver system. Let us know your progress, we'll keep trying!Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest AlanRobertson

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure I'm prepared to go down this road again of reinstalling everything from scratch as I've already done all that before. I'll need to sleep on that for a while and if ever I find myself at a loose end for a few days (:-hah ) I'll maybe reconsider it as an option.