Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Angel

Settings for High Altitude Flying

I've been primarily a low-and-slow VFR flier, but I recently purchased the EagleSoft Citation X and I am being introduced to cruising at altitude.I have been fiddling with the settings because I've discovered that my previous settings might not be appropriate for cruising at upwards of 40,000 feet. The visibility limits didn't seem to be working at that altutide. This resulted in a visible end to the cloud layers even if the weather should have been overcast to the horizon. I could turn up my cloud visibility settings, of course, but that had the expected severe impact on performance. ... after doing a bit of research, I unchecked the FS9 Haze Layer and that seemed to bring back visibility control at altitude. Is that the correct way I should be handling this? It's a bit hard to tell since the clouds change whenever I refresh the options.Will the registered version of FSUIPC offer any particular advantages in terms of visibility control? I know it has graduated visibility, but I'm not sure if that is a big advantage.Can anyone comment on what would be semi-"realistic" settings for visibility and clouds (within AS and FS9 display settings) for high-altitude cruising?

Hi,You did the right thing first in disabling the haze layer. In AS limit your visibility and set the maximum to 60. Save your settings. Also, restart AS because some of these things will not take place until you do so.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg