Sign in to follow this  
Guest DNelson

Feature Request

Guest DNelson

I've been using AS 2004.5 for a couple months now and am really enjoying it. I couldn't imagine having to use FS default weather any more.I just had an idea for a possible future enhancement. I don't know how feasible it is, but it doesn't hurt to ask.Would it be possible to have an option to randomly vary the destination ceiling and visibility from what would otherwise be set by the current METAR or TAF? One of the challenges of real IFR flight is starting an approach, and not knowing for sure what you'll see (or not see) at DH or MDA. When the reported weather includes clouds and precip, what you encounter on the final approach course is often different from what the ATIS or ASOS is reporting, and it's seldom the same as the TAF you received in the preflight briefing. For example, if the ATIS is reporting 400 overcast and 2 miles, maybe it could be randomly varied between 100 and 700 feet, and between 1/4 and 4 miles visibility.I know it probably wouldn't be feasible to randomly change the weather every minute or two. Instead, when it's time for the final update of the destination weather, AS would just randomly pick a ceiling and visibility that's close to, but not exactly the same as, the ATIS/ASOS report. The actual weather would be unknown to the pilot until he reaches the missed approach point and sees it himself.This would only need to be done for the destination weather, since it shouldn't matter that much for enroute weather.Thanks!Dan

Hi Dan!Good idea... We do have some variation programmed in using FS9's cloud layer parameters (300ft I believe) but this is limited.A good approach might be to extend the feature set of the unpredictability system (used currently for aloft conditions) so the user can set how much variation can exist from the report in several different categories (all, cloud heights, temps, winds, precip, baro, etc...).We will be working on it.. thanks for the suggestion!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest hlm65

Hi Damian,this unpredictability would be very great. As pointed out in the original post, seldom do actual conditions (in IFR environment) accurately match METAR/ATIS or TAF conditions. And maybe the ability to generate fluctuating visibility/ceiling conditions could overcome the unability of FS to depict "zonal" visibility/ceiling in the airport vicinity.Thumbs up for support and continuous upgrading of features !

Hello,Possible to have an AS option to "automatically" infom FSUIPC to select the "Minimum Weather conditions" as recommended in the tutorial?This to avoid one manual intervention and to forget to do it.Thanks in advance.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64