Sign in to follow this  
Guest garymccl

HELP - I have wind problems

Guest garymccl

Hello people - I need some help with flying at high altitude IFR.Basically, I'm happily flying along, and I start to get a tail wind. The wind as about 80kts and because the air is moving in the same direction of the aircraft this stops the wind flowing over the wings in the right direction at the right speed. My speed is currently saying 156kts, GS is 345 and it's mach .46. Basause my my speed is 156 kts, my aircraft has pitched right up, and now requires flaps to be deployed to prevent my aircraft from stalling. I'm currently at FL340 above the Atlantic.This has happened to me before. I'm halfway through a flight in the new LDS767. It's happened to me in the past in the PMDG737.How do I prevent this? I'm sure IRL if you have a strong tail wind it doesn't cause the plane to stall and fall out of the sky! What should I do?Thanks in advance.

Guest garymccl

I forgot to say. I'm using build 174 of ActiveSky2004.5 and I have the lastest registered version of FSUIPC.Thanks

Hi Gary,This is a first. Try a default plane and then try one of the mentioned planes and FS weather. Really not sure if this is an AS situation, an add on situation or an FS situation. We'll try to figure it out!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest garymccl

Hi Mate - sorry I didn't get back before - thought I had subscribed to this topic, and I hadn't!Anyway - thinking it probably wasn't an ActiveSky problem, I re-posted this in the General FS2004 forum, and someone came up with it being the figure I had in FSUIPC for weather smoothing. I had it down as 5 mph/second change rate, and apparently it wasn't giving the a/c enough time to compensate. I have reduced this to 1mph/second to see if that helps. They also suggested that I loaded the flight plan in ActiveSky, which I hadn't. I will try that next time. I won't know until/if I encounter this situation again. Thanks for getting back though, and I love AS, by the way.I think what really got to me was that I totally understand why this was happening, and I don't think I really understand why this doesn't happen in real life! It obviously doesn't though!Gary

Guest Andrew1981

Hold on you said FL340 156kn and mach .46 !Why did you go so slow ? . you should fly at around Mach 0.78 ! It's normal that at such low speed a moderate wind gust/drift ( or wind shear ) can cause the aircraft to stall ! _________RegardsAndrew Angelopoulos

Guest Flic1

I had this same issue last night while flying the LDS 767. Loaded the plan into ActiveSky and most of the flight was fine with a steady 50kt headwind. All of a sudden it switched to a 62 kt tailwind, then circled back to a headwind. This continued for a bout 30 minutes with varying speeds and it was mostly wreaking havoc with the autothrottles having to compensate. I have the latest FSUIPC and the latest AS update. I was flying from KLAX to KDEN at FL370. Eric

Guest garymccl

Yes - I am now convinced that the rate of wind change is the problem. If you reduce it to 1mph/second, it should help. The throttles simply don't have time to compensate when there is such a big change. My problem was worse - I suddenly had a 80kt wind change, and lost about 10000ft in altitude and slowed right down before I could regain my speed - which makes sense.I think there is something strange about FSUIPC. Sometimes the changes don't take effect straight away. I kept changing the values in FSUIPC, it wasn't making a difference, and suddenly it started to - without me doing anything different. If you find changing this value doesn't work straight away - try restarting the simulator. I'm afraid you'll have to ditch the passengers.

Guest garymccl

Oh - one other thing!I don't think it's just a problem with the 767 - I have had this in the PMDG737.

>I don't think it's just a problem with the 767 - I have had>this in the PMDG737.>I agree with that - I have had it with both aircraft also. I also agree that you have to toy around to find a change rate that works -I ended up with something like a VERY SLOW change of 4 sec per kt and so far that seems to have worked.Joe Lorenc

Joe Lorenc

Guest Flic1

Jim-DO you need the registered version of FSUIPC to change the wind values? Thnx.Eric

Guest garymccl

Erm, I don't know - sorry! I have the registered version so I don't know what you're limited to if you don't. I'm sure it's on one of the first 2 tabs though.

Wind problems?Cut down on the beans. Sorry. Had to.Eagle