Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnh2

ActiveSky & FSUIPC - Please, a little help.

Guest johnh2

I just purchased, downloaded, and installed ActiveSky last night. The accompanying README file instructed me to copy the FSUIPC.dll file which was located in the ActiveSky modules folder and paste it in the "base FS9 modules folder" which I took to mean the Modules folder which is located in the FS9 folder. I have done that. The user's manual says that ActiveSky is designed to work in conjunction with FSUIPC which I have never purchased, downloaded, or installed. I am confused about just what "FSUIPC" is and whether or not it is necessary for me to go and get this program now. If so, where do I get FSUIPC and where do I put it when I get and download it. I see a picture of a "FSUIPC Options and Settings" window depicted in the ActiveSky User Manual but I do not know how to navigate to that window which I assume must be located in FS2004 or is it only there if one purchases and installs a program entitled, "FSUIPC"? I apologize for the length of this question and the fact that something similar might have already been asked. I intend to use ActiveSky to enhance my visual weather and sky appearance. I am a GA virtual pilot and usually fly short VFR and IFR hops. I am ignorant and I would greatly appreciate some assistance. Thank you very much. john Henderson

I will attempt to demystify John.Active Sky needs FSUIPC to function which is why it is included with the AS builds. The file is a .DLL file and as the instructions state it is copied, or moved, into fs9modules, that's all you need to do.To access FSUIPC run FS9 and from the menu bar select 'Modules' and in the drop-down list you will see FSUIPC, click on that and the FSUIPC window you mention will be visible.FSUIPC is also available from Pete Dowson's site http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html and is payware for a fully functioning version.However payware authors (such as Active Sky) can obtain a licence to bundle FSUIPC with their product so it can function but that licence will not enable everything in FSUIPC.So bottom line is, you don't need to buy FSUIPC to use ActiveSky but you do need to put the FSUIPC.DLL file in the modules folder of FS.If you wish to have all the facilities of FSUIPC then you can visit Pete's site and learn how to register a full version of it.HTH

Guest johnh2

Thank you so very much, Vulcan. Your answer was succinct and easy to understand. I really appreciate your kindness and your willingness to share with a poor soul who was stumbling along.John

John,Most of us remember stumbling along, some more recent than others, and we hate to see fellow simmers in the same condition ;-)Enjoy AS.