Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Need help troubleshooting Overcast

Guest aca_dia

I am trying to trouble shoot why I am having overcast issues with AS. I know the issue with VV, but I have tried doing a find and replace of all VV in a saved WX file and changed every VV to an OVC. AS far as I can tell every METAR in the saved file for Maine, New Hampshire, eastern, Massachusetts, southern New Brunswick, eastern Quebec, and Nova Scotia has an OVC under 1000

Guest aca_dia

I will try setting it to that again. It had been at 100 for a while and I only reduced in recently testing out this issue.Douglas

Guest aca_dia

No change with Local Suppression Range set back at 100. Just did a fairly short XC flight where again all stations anywhere close to the route are low IFR (OVC003 is the highest). I had good conditions at the departure and destination, but cruising along at 5000' I was in some pretty nice weather. Once I descended below 4000

OK,Try this: don't limit cloud layers. Also I don't think that we have ever talked about your system specs, what are those? On less powerful machines FS will start to drop certain graphics, and cloud layers are one of the first to be dropped. Do you lock your frame-rates?If you use FS weather does the same thing happen?Clouds at maximum coverage?One more thing: the screen shots really help but we also like to see AS also!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest aca_dia

Jim,Thanks for taking the time with this. I unchecked limit cloud layers and I will test with that off this morning and report back. When you say you would like to see AS also do you want a screenshot showing the AS windows and the WX it is displaying? I will do a test and take a screenshot of the flight, the default AS screen showing the WX, and the route WX screen as well.I do lock my frame rates. I have had them locked at anything from 24-35 with the same results. I think they are locked at 31FPS currently. In FS9 the cloud coverage setting is at 100% with a 60-mile max visible range (and max visibility in AS is set to 59).My specs: P4

Guest aca_dia

No change after un-checking limit cloud layers. Once again I had low IFR conditions at the departure (lower than one would depart in for a real world flight) and low IFR along the entire route. Beyond that every station that I know of within about 200 miles is OVC010 or below. A minute or so after departing it instantly turned fairly clear as the last screenshot below shows.DouglasRoute for last flighthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109477.jpgActiveSky window for last flighthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109478.jpgA minute or so after departure at around 4000'http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/109479.jpg

Hi,Not really sure now. The data is all there, so that is not it. Your settings are good. Your machine can handle the conditions. Are you using any unique settings in FSUIPC that might be affecting the visibility? I also know that FS has some limitations, but I don't think this is one of them. Pretty sure you have been through your FS settings. I can suggest an uninstall-reinstall cycle.Damian should be back in a few days to offer his ideas.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest aca_dia

What is annoying me is that I am 90% sure I was getting a good overcast with ActiveSky a while back. Do the cloud textures I have loaded impact this at all? I am using the high fps versions from FS SkyWorld 2004.Douglas

Guest Boone

Hi - I'm glad I saw this thread as I was about to post the exact same. I can confirm I was getting good overcast layers before the most recent build. Is there a limit to the cloud layers in order for an overcast layer to appear? (I have overcast enhancement checked).Many thanks!Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Guest Boone

Hi Jim - thanks for the quick response. I am limiting the cloud layer to 2. It was at 3. I was thinking of fiddling around with that later.Do you know if there is an FSUIPC setting I should / should not touch. (Just installed the latest and may have missed a setting)Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Hi Boone,If you are going to adjust the cloud limit layer, then don't move it down, move it up. A too low of a number will not allow AS and FS to show the layers. We have that option for users who may not have the latest hardware so their framerates really suffer.The minimums are the best place to start. With the paid version you can adjust some visibility settings.I'll be back in the morning!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg