Sign in to follow this  
Guest r1y2m

Metar Weather Specials and A2992

Guest r1y2m

If I can make a suggestion in regard to the problem of weather specials and the altmeter going from the real pressure to the std 2992. Could not the software look at the time of the metar. Specials are always something like 131045z 131220z etc. while the metar with the altmeter setting is always on the hour 131200z 131000z etc. at least here in Canada. So by looking at the 5 and 6 digits of the day/time of the metar to see if they are = 0 or not could tell the program to keep the altmeter setting or change it. Just a thought. Maybe its not that easy on the programing side of things:)Brian(CYYT)

Hi Brian,Are you using B175? There was a fix to support missing baro or temp information (fetching from a nearby area instead).. If you are on B175 already then we can troubleshoot the code a bit..Thanks!!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest r1y2m

Damian,Yes I'm using B175, but on the day in question at CYYT we were getting a lot of specials with snow moving in out of the area. Weather stations in the area seemed to be tracking with them so it updated to the A2992 STD altimeter. I had to fly about 100nm west to get a station with a correct altimeter setting. That's why I suggested tying the time and altimeter setting or lack of same together. Then if stations are to far away to report or are in the same boat it wouldn't matter. This is not a criticism in any way I just thought it might be a better way of keeping the pressure from jumping around. But you are the programmer and if the time data is not always in the same place on the Metar line then that becomes a new problem.Thanks for your time and help.Brian