Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Getting the nose of a plane level at cruise altitude?

I have 4 or 5 different planes in my FS2002 hanger that when at cruise altitude they are slightly nose up (maybe like 5 degrees) is there a line I can add (or one I can change) to the aircraft cfg's to get the nose level when at cruise altitude?And I do set the trim of the plane before I take off, but when I put the autopilot on, it points the nose of the plane slightly up.

Guest jase439

It's completely normal for an aircraft to fly with a positive AOA at cruise...especially if you're lugging some tonnage.

Guest jase439

If you find your AOA is too severe, you are probably flying too high or too slow for your weight. You should reduce altitude and step-climb to higher flight levels as you burn off fuel.Cheers,J

In addition to the other posts regarding weight, etc., make you are cruising at the correct IAS for your power, prop settings (if applicable) at your desired altitude.You did not mention the type of aircraft. The aspiration or combustion efficiency if not maxed out (especially if not a turbo or you are above the service ceiling) will affect thrust as you adjust power, mixture, prop (if applicable). The wing necessary angle of attack to maintain altitude will be affected by thrust to generate the amount of lift at the IAS to oppose the gravity force dictated by your weight. In addition, your loading balance among the fuel weight and placement, people, cargo placement can shift the center of gravity which can also affect the pitch of the aircraft to maintain altitude stability.Some attitude indicators have an adjustment that moves the pitch reference vertically. When your altimeter and VSI indicate stable flight for your cruise conditions, you can adjust that reference to indicate the current pitch as "reference zero".

The planes that go slightly nose up on me at cruise altitude are POSKY's 767-300's and a biz jet.

Guest Stamatis

For airliners, a ball park range for pitch, when cruising at high Flight Levels, is between 1 and 3.5 degrees nose up.If that's what you are observing, there is nothing to correct :-)Stamatis