Sign in to follow this  
Guest Callmecapt

New Version of ActiveSky - In Final Development!

Ya know, I bought a 1999 Ford and unbelieveably, a few months later Ford came along and brought out a 2000 version! They told me it was different vehicle, not an upgrade! They didn't give me one for free, nor did they give me a special upgrade deal! I would have been a much happier customer if they would have given me a free upgrade! ;)KP

Guest Edwin

Hi all,First, let me be clear and say that I FULLY SUPPORT ActiveSky. I bought the wxRE and then AS2004 and do plan to also buy ASV. I have nothing against Hifisim's policy of being abundantly clear that ASV will be a brand new product and hence, I will have to pay again for the new product. This is the standard practice across practically the entire software (look at Microsoft Windows and Office, for example) industry and I fully agree to the approach.However, I also can see the merits of a subscription-based model like what we see in antivirus products (e.g. a sum of money for 12 months of upgrades). In my case, I bought AS2004 more than a year ago so I'd have to pay again no matter what. But for customers who are contemplating a purchase now, they would be reassured in knowing that they won't have to pay again when the new product comes out if it does within the next 12 months. Those who bought the product more than 12 months ago would then be faced with the same dilemma as their current decision of whether to buy ASV. If they buy immediately, they get another 12 months worth of upgrades and hence, they can use ASV immediately. If not, they can continue using their AS2004.I'm indifferent as to which approach is better. I'm fully happy with Hifisim's current policy and if Hifisim has no intention of changing that policy (so it seems), I fully respect that and will buy ASV when it comes out (as I have done with many other software products). I am only posting this to say that a subscription model isn't so out-of-this-world, so to speak.Keep up the good work Jim, especially in being so polite and civil in your responses to an overtly rude poster! ;)Take care,Edwin

Guest Sunny9850

Hi Edwin,I just wanted to add my two cents worth. I agree that for certain "products" a subscription is a great idea to make sure you always have access to the latest version as long as you keep your subscription up.For example in real world flying Jeppesen will gladly send you a batch of new approach plates as long as that account is up and running. The same goes for the regular updates to the NavData for my Garmin 430 if I want to fly IFR using the GPS... I pay my yearly fee and get access to download the data and program the card.But those two are for revisions of existing products not an entirely new product in the same family. Everyone has the choice to either get AS2004 now and update along until the ASV product is released and then choose again to either stick with AS2004 or buy the new product.I think in this particular case there is enough of a heads up given to avoid surprises such as some people had with for example FSFlightmax.There people spend good money one day for a product and a few days later the whole thing was made available for free. Btw I paid for my copy and the FS Garmins 430 and 530 and I am glad I did. They are part of the reason why my partner and I spent $9000+ on the real one.I think even a few weeks worth of AS2004 is worth the price of entry and if after that one had the options to either go with the new one and pay again or stick with AS2004 for a little while longer it is not unreasonable. And you are absolutely correect in pointing out that Jims exceptiona product support is more than a cut above the usual and in itself warrants the price we paid....No Jim that is not an invitation to raise the price ;-)Happy Landings

Guest papatango

Your product is fantastic and your customer support is top-notch. I currently own AS4.5. I am really looking forward to the dynamic cloud generation feature of ASV so that my flights will be more varied. I too would like to echo the sentiment that fps are very important for me. Right now, I am using a version of cumulus01.bmp provided by Chris that is only 17K. I know that I lose detail, but with AS4.5 showing multiple-layered cloud situations, I use this version to maintain good fps.I was thinking about getting Flight Environment by Peter Wilding before you made the announcement for ASV. It seems though that ASV will do most of the things that FE will do. Two things though that Peter mentions about FE are "Multiple Water Environments" and "Tropical Waters & Coral Reefs". I do not see these mentioned for ASV. His product has been getting excellent reviews regarding these water effects.I want to make it clear that I have decided to buy ASV when it comes out. Will you also provide these two effects mentioned above? If not, would there be any issue for me to have FE just for these two features, but use ASV for everything else, such as the dynamic cloud generation, vertical air simulation, environmental textures, etc.Thanks. I look forward to your reply.Scott

Guest flight

Just a thought to add to all this.I don't think the group at Active Sky are putting sales at the top of their list, and I say this as a compliment, not a criticism. It's obvious there is a "love" for this program by all those involved, especially Damian. If "sales" were the main concern it would've been easier to just not mention ASV. This way sales of Active Sky 4.5 would have continued, including yourself. Then, when they released ASV they could've just ignored complaints, much like I have seen some other sites do when they put out an inferior product. I'm not certain, but by Damian announcing ASV he probably hurt sales of AS2004.5 somewhat, which shows his true qualities. He's not out to grab as much sales as he can.I've used the weather program and upgrades from when it was free up to and including the latest upgrade. I've given praise and criticism yet always felt like a valued customer (although I have to admit that when they are criticized they do tend to ignore the individual to a certain extent).I think the problem flightsimstudios w/ your attitude is the same as many have today; that being patience. The choice is clearly yours. You can have AS2004.5 now, and ASV later at a discounted price the same as all the other previous owners, or you can wait, and buy ASV later. No one is forcing any purchase of any kind upon you.I myself am considering the purchase, but only in view of the next flight sim to come out. I can't complain to Damian and say, "but it should be free to all those who are planning to buy FS10 because they'll only be able to use it for a short while." I have to make a choice. Buy it when it comes out; or don't buy it and wait for FS10.It would certainly be nice if we could always have our cake and eat it too!

Guest flight

Bad example. They will let you trade in your 1999 model and put it toward the purchase price.

Guest flight

Jim,In my business the first thing I was taught, and told to "GET IT RIGHT", is that the customer is always right. You should always be civil, and this kind of a post is more of a dig at the initial post than anything else. Although I do tend to agree w/ the majority of the posts regarding this discussion I do at times find you to be somewhat arrogant towards those who say something negative towards Damian's product. You pretend to answer sincerely, yet have a few underlying jabs always included.Sometimes a product that is very very good can have this adverse effect on those who support it. Try to be understanding w/ out any underlying jabs.