Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Mountain fog/haze - hard edges

I still seem to be getting unrealistic hard edges to fog/cloud layers in mountain areas - see attachment. In the past disabling the FS9 Haze layer has fixed this but not this time over Misty Fjords. Build 174 and all defaults apart from online updates & no FS9 haze. Any suggestions appreciatedBruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Guest Erups

I always had this effect and i just overlooked it.In my opinion it is a poor implementation of geometry versus texture interpenetration: the engine instead of blurring the textures, just plots them on the screen and cuts them with the geometry.This is how i intended it as i always saw this when planar cloud textures were used on mountains.Let's wait for Damian or Jim or Chris explanation as they surely know more then me about this.

Hi Bruce,You may want to try with "fog layer generation" turned off..Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks I will try this. Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Well the problem seems to persist even with fog layer generation turned off - see attachment.Metar: PAKT 031053Z 14013G20KT 10SM -RA OVC022 04/03 A2923 RMK AO2 PK WND PAKT 030520Z 030606 15012G22KT P6SM -RA SCT015 OVC030 TEMPO 0610 4SM -RA BR BKN015 FM1000 18012KT 6SM -SHRA BR BKN020 OVC035 FM1500 VRB05KT P6SM Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Hi Bruce,Ok it looks like you have actual cloud layers intersecting with the mountains (not just vis layer or fog layers) and the FS9 depiction graphics aren't looking very realistic. Not much can be done about this but you may want to try experimenting with FSW cloud sets, it may help. Chris may have more info?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I've been getting this effect with HIFPS 32bit set 1 and alternative Cumulus B set 4 so I am not hopeful that changing cloud sets will help but happy to keep experimenting and, as you say, maybe Chris has some clues.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Hi Bruceb, You can't do nothing about this, and they are not fog/haze, these are 3d clouds when they touch the ground or mountain, the rendering in fs2004 is like that's.Ps: HIFPS 32bit are like default fs2004 resized little bit, for better performance.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis