Sign in to follow this  
Guest rjbikeracer

Memory problem

Guest rjbikeracer

One major problem was solved thanks to Stu and Damien, now a new one has cropped up. I have an Intel P4 3.04 gig along with 2 sticks of 512 memory, Windows XP professional, and Nvidia's GeForce 5900 Ultra 256mb video card. My simming was doing great after solving the last problem until yesterday. I tried flying through a bank of thunderstorms yesterday and again today several times and between 45 minutes to an hour into the flight sim, FS9 crashes and I get an error message stating that I have run out of available memory (huh???!!!). I have done a defrag, cleaned up what little clutter I had on my hard drive and I have even shut off hyper-threading (via task manager...not a reboot) and no matter, I still have the same error well into the sim. My temperature is normal (118 to 122f) and my frame rates appear ok and this only happens as I said 45 minutes to an hour into the sim even though I have been flying in and out of major cloud and thunderstorms the entire time. I can't think of any other info I can pass along. Once again I am stumped. Could I have spyware somewhere that is hogging my resources or does anyone have a bead on this particular problem? Once again, I appreciate any feedback.

Hi,Yes I would first suggest spyware/adware. Next, it is possible that one of your mem. sticks is slowly failing. There is a known memory tester called Prime 95 that runs a series of math computations that tax a memory system. Many use this to test their memory.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Do a search in the MS flight Simulator General Discussion Forum. There was a lot of talk there about memory leaks. Also make sure you have the 9.1 update installed. I beleive memory problems was one of the things it was to fix. keith

Guest FPEMiller

Have you tried running FS9 with it set at "AboveNormal" through task manager? I have been trying this lately to solve the "out of memory" error problem (I have 2GB of RAM). So far it has been working for me.Good LuckMK

Guest rjbikeracer

OK, I tried setting FS9's priority to "Above Normal" in Task Manager and , per Damian from "ActiveSky", I finally did switch off "Render to Texture", I flew from KATL to KLGA under various clouds with no crash or error messages. I will stay with these settings for awhile under various weather sims and see what happens. thanks for help. -rjs