Sign in to follow this  
drskyking

Nothing but clear weather and scattered clouds in OVC conditions

I just bought and downloaded Activesky2004, the maintenance file and the beta update. I have FSUIPC 3.47 , hit clear all weather, started FS9 with clear weather. At my local airport it is OVC 1200 vis 4 miles and using the new AS via widefs, I get the accurate metar info, but I still have clear skies with some scattered clouds to the north only! Help! Perfect day for some nice IFR and I can' get any. What am I doing wrong please!Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert,Welcome to Active Sky! Suggestions:Make sure Overcast Enhancement is On.In FS make sure 3D clouds are 100%In FS make sure cloud coverage is set to maximum.Make sure you are giving AS and FS enough time to download, process and display the weather. This could take up to 5 minutes.Please let us know if this helps.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Thanks for such a quick answer, I will check all the above, I think I did all of that. For some reason even with my 3.0 ghz computer with XP and 1 gB Ram, when I use the detailed clouds my frame rate drops to less than 5 even with scattered clouds, I was using the simple cloud option with full coverage. Thanks.

This is awful. Did all the above, even reinstalled fs9 and AS 2004.5.KALB Metar 8sm OVC 15, I get clear skies!! Ahhhh....WideFS working, AS v 1.92.4 works well with my FS2002! Any other ideas? I also have under FSUIPC technical button, Clear weather stops dynamics unchecked, and Allow changes to FS own weather checked.

You say that you are using WideFS. Is it the latest version (as you do not say)?Also, have you tried installing and running AS2004.5 directly on the PC running FS9 to identify if the issue is AS2004.5 or WideFS? For example, if you do not get the same problem running AS2004.5 on the FS9 PC directly it is more likley an issue with the WideFS setup in your current case.

AVSimSig.jpg

I am getting closer! I now get very realistic weather when I first start but I have been online 3 hours now and it is not refreshing for some reason. Here at KSCH it has gone from clear at 2150Z to scattered 45, BKN at80 and I am just getting clear with some scattered at 45 with lots of blue sky in between, clouds all at 100%. The time on the metar even though it is 0010Z now, is still 2150Z! //AS2004.5 configuration file B193[General]WindowPosX = 105WindowPosY = 105DefaultWeatherFolder = C:INSTALLDIRModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 50MinimumVisibility = 1/2MaximumVisibility = 59LastPlanFolder = NONEIncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = FalseAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseDOWNLOADTHROTTLE = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = FalseOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = TrueExtendTstormLayers = FalseDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -4AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 5TAFProcessing = TrueEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEWideFS-6.47FSUIPC-3.47, both registered.Thanks again, I really want to see this work!

Hi Robert,Your major settings look good. Let's try the other suggestion and install AS directly onto your FS machine. I want to eliminate Wide FS/your second computer as the problem. Something is blocking your downloads. Is Internet Explorer set to Work Offline?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

No it is not set to offline. It seems to download the weather but it doesn't put the latest up as I fly. Just flew KALB to KLGAat 17000, was supposed to be OVC at 9600 halfway there, then OVC 4200 at KLGA. All the way saw scattered clouds, 100 mile vis, it was awful! I even put in in user defined weather a solid OVC with bases at 4000 and tops 10000 when I was at 7500, could still see the ground through the clouds till I was under the bases! Sliders for clouds all the way right.Will try installing on main PC and see what happens.

Hi,Few comments here: you cannot modify the weather in FS04 and run AS at the same time. Also keep in mind that stations have a direct influence of 2 miles. After that, a blending of stations is used.One more thing, you can limit maximum visibility in AS, try 50 as a maximum.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

OK, I tried that, more accurate weather at KALB this morning. Still see blue sky through supposedly OVC layer, what is up with that? Also which boxes should be checked unchecked on the technical page of FSUIPC? Seems like I can at least get an OVC layer if I uncheck "Allow change to FS own weather" and "Clear weather something" on the left of the tech page. Is there a way to increase the local station influence? Thanks again.

Firstly, I see what you are saying in that OVC conditions at KALB right now are not accurately depicted with patches of clear blue sky visible all around through scattered clouds. Seems not to be a generic issue, as at CYKZ which also has an overcast right now, it does show a complete overcast.As for what weather options to check/uncheck in FSUIPC, just use the following simple approach which works.After starting FS9, go to Modules->FSUIPC. Press "Weather Settings Off" and then "Clear All Weather", followed by "OK". Start AS2004.5, and if weather not downloaded automatically press the "Refresh" button. After download complete and all stations written (you should see "Online Mode Weather Update completed" at the bottom of the AS2004.5 window), go back to FS9 and the weather should update.

AVSimSig.jpg

That is what I have been doing, just wondered about ticking those couple things on the technicel tab of FSUIPC, you are saying it doesn't matter. Did you go to KALB to see what I meant? I feel better knowing it wasn't unique to me. Unfortunately I want to use the sim to practice my IFR approaches to my local airports ( I live 10 miles from KALB) and it isn't very realistic to have a 700 foot OVC and be able to see the ground all the way in!! I'll keep trying different suppression settings, what do you use? I was going to try 2000 feet and 10 miles...

Hi Doc,Can you jump around a bit and find a station that your machine does show OVC? I want you to see a solid layer so we know what we are trying to work you towards at your home airport. If AS was not showing OVC after this weekend, you know this board would be filled with posts. Suggestion: re-set FSUIPC back to its default settings and see what happens. We'll continue to get this!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Will try tonight, KALB forcasting OVC 5500, right down the river KSWF forcasting OVC 6000. Will hit clear all weather and reset to defaults on FSUIPC before starting then refreshing AS! Take care. Will let you know.