Sign in to follow this  

Hi all,I have a question about my settings within AS. I just made a short flight with OVC conditions. AS depicted the ovc weather convincing enough, (no holes in the clouds) but there was a clear band at the horizon all around the aircraft the entire flight. I'm sure it's some setting that I'm missing, or don't have set correctly. This was the active METAR for the flight;KAIG 282155Z 27009KT 10SM OVC050 05/M03 A2989 RMK AO2 RMK SUPPRESSEDI have the visibility in FS set to 60nm and clouds drawn at 60nm. In AS I had the visibility set at max 50nm but I still have this clear band at the horizon.This is the ini that I'm using;//AS2004.5 configuration file B193[General]WindowPosX = 2400WindowPosY = 1920DefaultWeatherFolder = E:Flight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 2000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 60MinimumVisibility = 0.5MaximumVisibility = 50LastPlanFolder = C:Documents and SettingsUnkownMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesIncreasedWake = FalseDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseDOWNLOADTHROTTLE = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = TruePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseDisableAllGroundUpdates = FalseGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = TrueAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 15VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -4AloftPredictability = 90WindDriftRate = 3TAFProcessing = TrueEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONECould someone please tell me what I have set incorrectly, or what the proper setting would be to eliminate this banding that I'm seeing?Also trying to attach a pic for visuals.Thanks,Marv

Guest rnj slinger

Maybe it is the same as me, and is the max visibillity not working in 193, i posted 2 days ago. Rick

Part of same problem I have with it, only if vis < 10miles does the clear band go away! At least you can;t see the ground through the OVC!

Hi Jim,I tried putting my cloud distance to 80nm after I landed, and left the visibility @ 60. Maybe I didn't give it enough time to process?I'll try again shortly and fly in the same area with yesterday's METAR, and see if there is a difference. FYI I started near KOSH.Might there be a setting in FSUIPC that I need to change or activate? Have registered ver 3.4.7.Thanks for the help, will report my findings.Marv

OK,Just did another flight around the area for about 45 min with clouds drawn set to 70nm and I saw no difference. The clear band was still there. For some reason it seems that the 50nm visibility isn't being enforced. If I ALT to the menu, and look at the settings for weather, it's set to user defined and unlimited visibility. If I change it to 50nm vis, it wipes out all the current weather settings and I have to refresh AS. Then it reverts back to unlimited?Everything in AS options are still set the same as above.Thanks,Marv

Hi All,Thanks everyone for these reports. I willl check this out on Saturday some time, and I'll report back. Right now it's hard getting flight time in: working 2 jobs, offering support here and by e-mail, helping around the house, training a new puppy, and sleeping. Whatch this space for my findings!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

HI Marv,In your pic looks like the exact issue with 3rd party files.Did you ever install "fake overcast from 3rd party? This should be removed and I recommend to be sure, reinstall all default cirrus clouds.Ps: We always recommend the files we suggest to prevent issue and compatibility for existant and futur hifisim product.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Everyone,I just finished some extensive testing and found B193 to be working properly. No visibility issues, no horizon banding, no nothing. As Chris suggested make sure all cloud textures are present and valid.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hmmm....As per Chris' reply, the only 3rd party clouds I have installed are the FSW clouds. But I will reinstall the default cirrus clouds and see if that makes a diff.I'll play around with it some tonight and try some different settings. I was going to reinstall AS and go back to build 174 and see if that made a difference, but if Jim says B193 is working properly for him, I'll keep trying.Anything else I could try?Thanks for all the help....Marv

HI, " only 3rd party clouds I have installed are the FSW clouds."Even of you install fsw files, it won't fix it, if you have installed previously long time ago, since there is some cirrus files not used from fsw, the "hack will remain installed". You need to install default fs2004 from fs sky world 2004, it will install all cirrus files, then later you can chose files from fs sky world 2004.Ps: The only way I know to get this entire hard line in fs2004, came from the "3rd party fake overcast files". All FSW files don't create these issue on the horizon.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,Did as you suggested and installed all default textures from FS Sky world 2004, and the sky ended up looking like picture #1. Then I shut the sim down, installed cirrus clouds & cumulus from FS Sky World 2004, and now it looks like pic #2. Whew... had me worried there for a min. But now everything seems to be working as it should. Even the visibility limit appears to be working also. :-)This was a different ovc condition than what I had the other night. I don't know if it made a difference or not with how the clouds are drawn?BTW, do you know what would cause the condition of the cirrus clouds in pic #1? I used restore default textures from FS Sky World.Thanks again for your help,Marv

Hi, "BTW, do you know what would cause the condition of the cirrus clouds in pic #1? I used restore default textures from FS Sky World."You must install the texture via the interface (not outside the utility manually by mouse.)"But now everything seems to be working as it should."I recommend again to be sure there is no broken texture reside in your fs2004, re-install default fs2004 first from the FSW2004 interface only, then later change set from fsw2004 interface.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis