Sign in to follow this  
Guest merchant

Navlog Flight Level Wind Info

Guest merchant

Question regarding the wind information on the navlog printout. For the various flight levels wind infomation is predicted in the following format for various weather stations:FL030: 154/22 (12.50) and up to FL390: 178/70 (-50.30).I assume the 12.50 is a tailwind and -50.30 represents headwind.Thanks,Ulysese BrownActiveSky Newbiex:-)

Guest Edwin

Hi,Welcome to ActiveSky!No, that's actually the SAT (temperature) in Celsius. The wind is displayed immediately after the flight level. Your first readout would mean winds out of 154 degrees (SSE) at 22 knots. And your second readout would mean winds out of 178 degrees (S) at 70 knots.Hope this helps!Edwin

Guest merchant

>Hi,>>Welcome to ActiveSky!>>No, that's actually the SAT (temperature) in Celsius. The>wind is displayed immediately after the flight level. Your>first readout would mean winds out of 154 degrees (SSE) at 22>knots. And your second readout would mean winds out of 178>degrees (S) at 70 knots.>>Hope this helps!>EdwinWhere do I find the headwind and tailwind data?Thanks,

There is no headwid/tailwind as such. Edwin.The bottom of the Navlog will show your average route wind speed and direction, you then need to assess your general route heading and work out, or guess your the head/tail wind component.The navlog also shows wind speed/direction at each waypoint so if you want you can calculate the head/tail wind component for each leg, personally I don't, I use the average value and apply it to my general route direction.Sorry for hi-jacking the post Jim.

Guest merchant

>There is no headwid/tailwind as such. Edwin.>>The bottom of the Navlog will show your average route wind>speed and direction, you then need to assess your general>route heading and work out, or guess your the head/tail wind>component.>>The navlog also shows wind speed/direction at each waypoint so>if you want you can calculate the head/tail wind component for>each leg, personally I don't, I use the average value and>apply it to my general route direction.>>Sorry for hi-jacking the post Jim.Thanks,Ulysese

Guest merchant

>Hi,>>What type of headwind and tailwind data are you seeking?>>Hope this helps,>Jim>ActiveSky Sales and Support>http://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpgHeadwinds and tailwinds for winds aloft such as when crossing the North Atlantic (NAT Tracks) either east or west. Normally, when crossing eastbound there are tailwinds when crossing west the are headwinds causing higher fuel usage.