Why is it that with any of the FS9 weather themes that involve heavy overcast conditions, FPS doesn't drop below 20FPS when flying the default Baron, but when I fire up AS with the weather as below I struggle to get out of single digits? And this is with an AMD3700+ processor and a 6800GT video. All AS sky settings are default and build 193. PAKT 030153Z 12009KT 10SM SCT039 BKN060 OVC090 11/07 A3011 RMK AO2 BKN035 OVC050 FM0400 33003KT P6SM SCT045 BKN120 BKN200 FM1000 33006KT P6SM SCT050 BKN150 FM1600 33006KT P6SM SCT050 SCT120Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

OK I have now found that if I have AS load weather (see below)& then quit AS, my FPS climbs from about 10 FPS to the levels I get with the overcast FS9 weather themes (ie 20 plus). With FS9 weather for the same time and place I get about 17.BKN035 OVC050 FM0400 33003KT P6SM SCT045 BKN120 BKN200 FM1000 33006KT P6SM SCT050 BKN150 FM1600 33006KT P6SM SCT050 SCT120PAJB 030039Z 030113 24005KT P6SM BKN040 FM0300Z VRB03KT P6SM FEW015 SCT040 TEMPO 0313 BKN015 RMK AUTO GENERATED AS2004.5 RMK AUTO GENERATEDBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi Bruce,We ask for a new thread so this is OK. What are your cloud settings in FS? Limit your cloud layers to 3. Video driver up to date?Edit: I also noticed that you have the same video card as another user that was experiencing the same trouble. Not sure if there is a connection or not.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Using nvidia drivers 66.81, cloud coverage high, 3D percent 100, cloud draw distance 70, sight distance 59, 5 layers but no change with 3. Still puzzled as to why performance returns to 20 plus when I exit AS but keep the overcast weather conditions the same. Without AS running I get very good performance from my system including all the weather themes with heavy overcast conditions but with AS and heavy overcast, as I said, it is 10 or less. Also there is no improvement when I use the HIFPS cloudsetWould be interested in confirmation that others with my type of hardware aren't getting this drop in performance with overcast weather and AS compared to what they get when using the overcast weather themes without AS.As a further demonstration I have attached two screenshots. The first is with AS enabled and second is a minute or two after quitting AS. As you can see the weather is the same but frame rates have doubled in the second screenshot.The metar for this demo was:PAWG 031116Z 13007KT 10SM FEW027 OVC033 08/06 A3009 RMK AO1 RMK PAWG 030942Z 031006 11006KT P6SM BKN040 BKN100 TEMPO 1014 3SM BR BKN003 BKN030 OVC040 FM1400 VRB03KT P6SM SCT040 BKN060 TEMPO 1416 3SM BR BKN015 FM1800 33005KT P6SM SCT040 BKN080 LTD TO CLD VIS AND WINDBruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Bruce,It might just be the screenshots, but the clouds in shot 2 don't look anywhere near as good as shot 1. When I ran your demo on my system (FX5700 Nvidia), I also had a significant drop in FPS, but I also lost visual quality. Might be the trade off when using AS?BMBanister

Hi, Both shots are differents, one using visibility reduced "to probably simulate overcast" and the others one, overcast with clouds drawing, this is why the fps is differents, Clouds draw distant and clouds density does have difference in fps.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Well the display looked much the same to me but I will rerun the test and report back. However that aside, is this the explanation that outside AS you don't get "Real" overcast eg when using weather themes such as Gray and Rainy, Major Thunderstorm, Nimbostratus, Stormy Weather etc where my framerates are in the 20s whereas in similar weather generated by AS I'm in single digits?Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett