Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys I want to try to get to the bottom of this, if it is my video card i'm willing to upgrade, i have the ati 9800 pro and clouds in the distance are drawn when i pan around my plane or flying towards it at flight level. The driver i use doesn't matter as it happpens with every driver. However it doesn't always happen therefore its a specific situation, ill try to get details....

Are you referring to the speed of the cloud drawing being slow as you pan?Have you installed the FSW high performance cloud sets?http://fsw.simflight.com/FSWdownload.htmlIf you use the dxt set in your hardware display render to texture must be on. I use the 32 bit sets. Chris Willis is also now a member of the AS team.After you install your high performance clouds go into you FS9 settings and adjust your 3D cloud percent and view distance to something that gives you enough speed on your system. By holding3D clouds to a shorter sight at which point two clouds are drawn, rendering should be quicker.The rest of 3D rendering performance has to do with your card settings, (be sure your system bios agp aperture is set to match your cards ram), system ram capacity, and the greatest factor is your CPU speed which dominates FS rendering.I'm sure someone else might contribute but you might want to check out the hardware forums here on AVSIM for 3D tuning tips.

Hi Joe,You are talking about flickering clouds? and not drawing clouds?, like your previous post with the video links you told me? if yes this is related to the visibility and fs2004 issue, it happend sometime and not always, I don't think and I am not sure changing video cards will fix that's.In this thread http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=16139&page=5on this website its the united gone retro video found here www.cleared2land.net under i believe it was clearedtoland cinema, (you can see in the video flickering clouds.)This issue happend without active sky if you are talking about this flickering clouds issue, it is related with reduced visibility with some situation not always and maybe related to clouds draw distant as well.I never received the email with the saved flight *.flt *.wx to look at it, email me at chris@simflight.com. I have seen this issue as well without active sky, not always.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Erups

My personal justification for this is a "problem" in FS own rendering engine.Not a technical problem, rather an issue that comes out from "how" fs draws the things.It looks like the field of view that affects clouds is square rather then circular (should be spherical, but nevermind).I mean that, when i look forward and pan around (left-right) i see clouds appearing and disappearing on my sides in the direction i am panning: panning to the left, i see disappearing clouds on the left, and appearing clouds on the right.A picture is attached to explain what i mean.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/118182.gifIn black is first situation represented as seen from above: the rectangule represents the hypotethic field of view i am describing in this post.In red the position of the field of view after panning: in orange you can see the old positions of the clouds, while in black the actual positions of the clouds (which do not change).As you can see in this representation clouds do actually pop in and out, but it's because of a choice in the design process.At least this is what i believe is happening.More in-depth analisys can be done by the Hifi Team.

Hi Joe,When you save a flight in fs2004, it save automatic *.flt and the *.wx, they have same name as the saved flight, (*.wx contains the saved weather from your flight)All yours saved flight are available here:C:Documents and Settings*your computer name*My DocumentsFlight Simulator Filesexemple.FLTexemple.WXSend me your saved flight "clouds flickering" that's contains *.FLT *.WX to chris@simflight.comThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis