Sign in to follow this  
Guest Alexander

Extreme loss of framerates

Guest Alexander

Guys,first of all let me say a big thank you for your great efforts. I am using AS quite a long while now and never had any big problems. Unfortunatly with the new textures provided by Chris my framerates went down so badly that I nearly can't fly anymore. It really has become kind of a diashow, very bad.I already have set texture solution to minimum and even tried with and without mips. And yes, I have shut down and restarted AS5 and the FS9 itself after every change - but there just isn't any improvement.Looks like I have to switch back to my old textures which really is a pitty, but I can't see any other solution right now.Chris, do you think you can have a look at your textures and try to fix the problem asap? Can't wait to use AS5 the way it was ment to be...Alex

Hi Alex,Sorry you are having trouble. I can suggest this: Start up ASV, go to AE, select 64 X64 cloud resolution. Then choose a cloud set, click the update button and then the submit button. Then start FS. Also, are your ASV main settings the same as you were using in AS2004.5? Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest Alexander

... just to add a question: Before I make any mistakes, is it actually possible to run AS5 WITHOUT Chris' textures? So when I reinstall my old textures, will AS5 still work - or do I have to switch back to 4.5 till there is any solution for the framerate problem?Alex

Hi Alex,I don't know what's is going, could you check in fs2004texture and see the cumulus01.bmp size?Clouds have been optimized in 32 bits, We will put a converter to DXT ..One thing is to not confuse the clouds texture and the metar reports, if the metar reports is dense, this is related to asv, you will need to limit layers.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Alexander

Jim,thank you for the quick reply, you were even faster then I expected (and because of this I didn't see you post before I wrote my second part..). Anyway, settings seem to be the same than in 4.5. But I will have some other tries before I give up, so don't worry, and of course I will report any success. I am just thinking about if I (and the other users having the same framerate problems) perhaps disregarded the "submit" Button on the AE Configuration Page and by mistake just hit the "close" button, so that the resolution changes didn't affect.. Not quite sure anymore what I did the last times but I'll have a try right now...Alex

Guest Alexander

Hey guys,think I just found the solution - and it's not about the textures at all: With the new AS5 it seems to be a very importend difference if the Flight Simulator is running on full screen mode or not (at least on my system). Okay, from the start: Normaly I am running the FS in a (a little bit) minimized window. No problems before with this. But now with the new AS5 this leads to a poor perfomance of about 7 frames per minute and to a kind of mouse flickering. BUT: If I maximizes the FS to full screen mode, the frames suddenly rise up to about 30. I just noticed this per random, but it was quite of a lucky moment realizing this.So perhaps this could also be a solution for the other users that have complained about frame problems...And by the way: You don't imagine how much I am looking forward gearing up my first real flight with your great addon...Alex

Guest Alexander

Hi Chris,indeed, that was the think I did right before I had the idea with the fullscreen mode. But there aren't any differences concerning the ASV window: It may be opened, it may be hidden or just minimized to the toolbar - the frame rates stay the same. But I just noticed another interesting point: When I run the FS NOT in fullscreenmode (and have the framerate problems bcause of this), and then pull any other window right in front of the FS window (for example my browser window), the frame rates increase as well (at about 14 fps). So a little conclusion:FS in fullscreen mode: ~ 30 fpsFS not in fullscreen mode: ~ 7 fpsFS not in fullscreen mode, but another window in front of it: ~14 fpsStrange, isn't it?Alex

Guest Alexander

Chris,thank you for the great support. I was very glad if my reports would help a little solving some problems.Now, after everything is smooth at my system again, I am looking forward having some nice flights today.Alex