Sign in to follow this  

AI recognition of Military Aircraft possible? And fix f

Greetings all.I have a question pertaining to AI recognition by ATC as certain types of aircraft.I recently downloaded and installed an AI version of the C-130 into my FS2002, but to literally say it was terrible. The aircraft landed literally about 2 - 5 miles BEFORE the runway. To figure out this issue I changed the C-130 to flyable and attached a panel and tested this out myself. Flying the ILS on the same airports as the flight plan held to, my craft did the same thing - when I came in my craft would fall out of the sky like a rock and plung into the ground faster than the autopilot's descent rate.Well, the GOOD news is I fixed the issue. Figuring that the C-130 - based on size - should do well with the AIR files of a 737 - I used the default 737 file for this fix. It worked. Now they fly onto the runway.Now I have two questions for my fellow simmer comrades!!!!!!!!!Question ONE:HOW can i change the AiR file to make ATC recognize my C-130 as Military cargo. I have the gtes set up for Military cargo, but they keep going to the commercial gates instead (probably because ATC thinks theyare 737's due to my fix)Question TWO:I know there is a patch somewhere (I thought here on AVSIM, but I cannot seem to find it) that makes AI land on the END of the runway INSTEAD of in the MIDDLE! LOL. Considering my home base does not have the longest runway in the world (it's a municipal airport0 I wouldlike to be able to stop my larger AI aircraft BEFORE the end of the runway LOL. Anyone know where to download this fix? I only saw it once, but I was at work and regret not writing down the URL.Greatly appreciate any responses and input on this!!!!!

BUMP- as its an interesting question.try to use AITM ( to be found @avsim ) to change the aircrafts class to military cargo?????

Good suggestion, and it is a program which I already have.Unfortunately, AITM is incompatable with my system, (windows XP). No matter what I try to do in there it tells me that files it was SUPPOSED to have created on install cannot be found. It was a bad install from the start and no reinstall I try fixes it, so i deleted the program.I DO have AirEd, so if I can figure out which line in the AIR file classifies the aircraft type to ATC for parking space, etc, then I would love it. I am in no way familiar with Air files with the exception of changing the type from 2 to 0 to make the thing flyable LOL. Is there a tutorial out there that details air files?Thanks for the suggestion though. When i DLed AITm it just would not work at all.

Guest H_Kev55

Chris,The air file has nothing to do with where the aicraft parks other than the radius size of the aircraft versus the first parking spot that will accomodate it's size.Try resizing a gate to coincide with the radius of the aircraft you are using. Make it alot smaller or it will continue to park at a larger gate.Just a thought.KJ

Hmmm. Where do I find the radius of my aircraft? Sounds like a good idea. So really there is no point in making sure my parking says "Gate: Military Cargo" then? LOL Maybe in FS2k4 they might have a better way to direct AI Aircraft like that.Anyway, MANy thanks for that suggestion. I'd love to try it out if I can figure out where my plane dimensions are. Someone said they are in my MDL file, but that is one file I do not have a program to access :-( Any ideas?With Honor and Thanks for the Tip,Chris

>>The air file has nothing to do with where the aicraft parks >other than the radius size of the aircraft versus the first >parking spot that will accomodate it's size. >If so, why does the MS AI traffic SDK include a switch to select a plane as cargo/military/military cargo etc. then? And no word on radiuses? I think the radius method is just a go-around for the problem. If u match the radius on one aircraft / airport combo, you have to do them all.

Guest lmoelleb

Obviously it is a work-around - no one on this planet will say otherwise, even the people making it (ok, maybe a few ignorent people won't know about the method at all, and hence can't say if it's a work-around). :)One use for the setting in the SDK is that it will only generate the appropriate kinf of traffic to the airport. It will not send an F-16 to your local glider strip (ok, runway length will handle that, but anyway).I guess MS has a tool mining the AFD data into the presuppled airport definition files coming with the SDK, so they would need the settings to get this right.For now, all you can do is use overlays (can only be done when you can land the different planes on individual runways) and the radius method - and yes, they are both work-arounds!Please go the www.projectai.com - somewhere in the unofficial download section you will find a list of predefined radius settings for various airlines etc. If you use this standard list, you can share AFCAD files and planes with other people.

Chris,I am using WinXP Pro with AITM. I really don't understand why you should not be able to load and use it.If you can't get it to load, you are kinda stuck since AITM has the capability to modify the radii of your aircraft.

Chris as to question two,change these three lines in the aircraft config to look like this:[flight_tuning]cruise_lift_scalar=0.75parasite_drag_scalar=0.75induced_drag_scalar=0.75.55 works better on smaller aircraft I use .75 on dc9's and up.Matt

Woah wait a sec guys. I just did this silly thing called "attention to detail"!!!!!I noticed you guys are abbreviating AITT and NOT AITM. If your "AITT" is referring to AI Traffic Tools by lees Sorty, I have that too and it works great. I am still learning how to use it to the fullest, but it works great.HOWEVER AITM . . .AI Time Table V6.9 Beta - I cannot get to work at all and SUPPOSEDLY it is supposed to be able to edit all that.So here is my question . LOL . how do I use Traffic Tools to edit radiuses? That is IF I am interpreting the acronym correctly and we are talking about TTools.As for the rest, I agree with both sides. Radius is a known way to fix this issue, but I know not where the radius of my aircraft is, file-wise, or I would have used that since this problem I am having is mainly only with the two airports I have C-130's doing patrols and maneuvers between.Still would like to know exactly where this "Military Cargo/Military Combat/Cargo,GA/etc etc etc" come in to play. LOL Lots of expert advice here, but I am just a nerd that is still learning the ropes :-)

Traffic Tools has nothing to do with radius sizing. AITM (AI Traffic Mover), the one which you cannot get to work, is the program you need. The radius value used by the AI to choose parking spaces is stored within the mdl file, not the airfile. Looking into the airfile is a waste of time, it is not there.If you cannot get AITM to work, and your interest is only limited to one particular aircraft at one or two particular airports, then I would suggest experimenting with, starting from very small, to progressively larger and larger parking sizes until you find the minimum whole metric size that the aircraft will park in. That is the radius size of that aircraft. The parking gate size can be adjusted by right clicking the gate in AFCAD and going to the gate properties, where you will find a field to adjust that value.

AI . . . traffic . . . mover . . . . DOH!You know . . . you all must think I am some newbie! :-( Well . . . I am :-(. All this time I though the acronym AITM you all were using was AI Time Table, not AI Traffic Mover.I have never tried Mover, but I will seek it out at once and experiment with it.Now I REALLY feel like a moron. Sorry guys for not being detailed and getting my abbreviations right :-(