Sign in to follow this  
michal

if your FPS is horrible with clouds ....

Guys, I read reports about people getting horrible fps with clouds. This should NOT be the case. Most likely you did not mip the clouds. My performance practically doubled when I mipped cloud textures. As always, test on your system. Otherwise FPS with AE and FE's clouds are completely equivalent, I only see some performance advantage of using FE's DXT3 clouds. Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

For the money you pay and the benefit it has, why on earth did the product not ship with the clouds alreadys mipped?

Eric 

>For the money you pay and the benefit it has, why on earth>did the product not ship with the clouds alreadys mipped?Eric,According to Chris on SOME systems mipping will decrease performance. That's all what I know. It is a bit like this PanelAsTexture stuff in FS9.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_beta_member.jpg

Hi,Because it would significantly increase the size of the already huge download, and as mentioned, it has been reported to cause problems on some systems..

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest DNelson

I just got ASV downloaded and installed late yesterday, and had very little time to experiment. My frame rate was indeed horrible (~6 fps) as I emerged from the top of an overcast cumulus layer. I didn't make any changes in the AE screen before I went flying. Does that mean that I'm still using the default FS9 cloud textures? Are the default FS9 textures mipmapped?Thanks,DanAsus A8N-EAthlon64 3500+ WinchesterATI X800XL 256 Mb2 Gb Corsair RAM

Guest SoarPics

Dan, go back to the AE screen and MIP those 256 x 256 textures. If you want the higher res textures (512 x 512) they must be downloaded and installed (they consist of 3 files approximately 90, 90, and 55Mb in size). Chris has made their install very easy. Once the 512 x 512's are aboard you can MIP them. They look great and perform nicely (for me).Greg

Hi, "I didn't make any changes in the AE screen before I went flying. Does that mean that I'm still using the default FS9 cloud textures?"Yes you are still using default FS9 cloud if you did not make any change.AE Clouds have been optimized compare to default and the 512x512 resolution is almost the same like default performance even not little not better. Clouds in AE use gray scale.-Default fs2004 are mip mapped.-Mip map the AE clouds first, they will mip map all clouds resolution at the same time, 512, 256 and 64x64-256x256 have better performance then 512x512-64x64 can have better on some system, but less quality.-To be sure you have using AE clouds, go to AE interface and selection clouds in the middle of the screen, then cirrus etc.If you still have problem with performance, we will add DXT with update, but you won't see major difference.Ps: Nothing can be done much more, clouds do have better performance then default FS9 clouds.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpgFreeware Addons for FSW GROUP

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest DNelson

OK, thanks guys. Since I have a pretty high-end system (at least I hope it's still considered high-end ), I'll download and mip the 512's tonight. Sure glad I got high-speed internet last spring!

>-To be sure you have using AE clouds, go to AE interface and>selection clouds in the middle of the screen, then cirrus>etc.Does this apply if you have ICS turned on i.e. if you are using ICS does that guarantee that you get AE clouds rather than FS clouds?

AVSimSig.jpg