Sign in to follow this  
Guest JIMJAM

Killing my highend rig's FPS

Guest JIMJAM

Just wanted to give a user report.AMD 3500+ OCed, 6800GT ULtra OCed, 2 gigs ram,Audigy 2, system tweaked, ect,ect. Running just about every addon out there,all sliders maxed, with 4.5 I stayed pegged at 25 fps. First couple hours fiddling with 5.0 and Im down in the low teens and even worse. This is experimenting with the preset overcast, thunderstorm and a few others. Tried mips on/off/ reduced layers,visabilty, aa, af, and still its kicking my computers butt.Did a couple flights with light clouds with no hit but go IFR and its almost a slide show. This is even flying a few of the freewares known for great fps. Im afraid to think about the performance if I fly my Level D or PMDG or any of the other heavies. With all these options Im sure Im doing something wrong cause you guys with less horsepower than me would really be hurting. BTY- Im running F Enviroments.

Hi, I don't understand when you say, tried mips map onoff, when you re using FE? The mips are only for the Active Environment clouds and should be enable one time. Active environment contains everything, clouds, sky and all these things, created according to the condition."all sliders maxed, with 4.5 I stayed pegged at 25 fps. First couple hours fiddling with 5.0 and Im down in the low teens and even worse. This is experimenting with the preset overcast, thunderstorm and a few others."As4.5 never got these wx configurator, with these preset overcast thunderstorm and a few others These are only "clouds layers situation" saved from WX configurator. These can degrade performance alots specialy if you are using 512x512 clouds from anywhere, same thing will happend in fs2004 without asv with the same layers, you will have fps drop. You can create your own weather with WX configurator as well with lighter clouds density and save them.Did you tried to use the real weather? like you always using with as4.5? as4.5 do not have the wx configurator.Did you tried to use lighter clouds resolution? I am confused you are using Flight1 FE or Active Environment? You can chose lower resolution clouds for better fps.In the weather display clouds draw distant, sight distant reduce them to the left.Others tips if you are using full asv with their clouds, and others tips not related to asv. http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=18117&page=ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest steku

What about trying lower resolution clouds?

Guest JIMJAM

Went to lunch,came back started a flight of Hawaii and now no matter what weather I throw at it Im staying pegged again at my set 25fps?? Dont understand it but something happened cause Im back to what my performance should be. Just to clarifi, the weather settings in fs2004 should be "user defined" correct? Thanks for the help and tonight I will dig through the forums again.

Hi, "the weather settings in fs2004 should be "user defined" correct?:"You should never go here, don't even need to go here, or click anything in fs2004 real weather.AS4.5 and ASV generate the weather into fs2004.ThanksChris WillisHiFi Simulation Software Team Developerhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest JIMJAM

Think I had better just delete Flight Enviroments.Still a little confused as to what FE is actually doing if Im running ASV. Basically all I want is pretty clouds and the abilty to generate conditions. Thanks again for the quick reply and I must say from what Ive seen so far, you guys once again created a great product.

Guest jettjokk

Chris,I am new to the Active Sky product and I've read through the manual just once so far. This thread comes as close to answering my question as I could find on the Active Sky support forum. After reading the manual I decided to see if all would work as advertised. But the manual never said what to do about downloading real weather through FS9. Then I saw this post. I want to have the weather in the sim as close as possible to what is really out there, including appropriate updates. So I looked at the NOAA weather map and noted there were t'storms in the area of KTYS in Tennessee. I use "create a flight" to get into the sim and I've always downloaded real weather using FS9. But according to you I do not need to do that-ASV will take care of that. I started things in the proper order from the manual (including NOT changing anything at the FS9 weather setting)but when the sim opened what the weather was showing was fair weather which is the FS9 default according to my FS9 settings. There was no rain or clouds. Finally, although ASV knew my flight plan already and was showing the right conditions in the metar where were those t'storms? So then I hit the download button in the ASV opening screen. Finally first rain, then clouds appeared. I did not see that this was required in the manual. I thought since ASV knew my flight plan and had already finished it's initialization process that the weather would be there. Any suggestions or comments?Also let me say that letting the ASV/FE textures be used does greatly improve hoe the sky looks in the sim. Congrats on the great work!DanS

Hi Dan,Welcome to Active Sky! First, make sure you are in Online Mode. Next, realize that it may take up to five minutes for your initial download, processing, and display of weather. The same is true if you jump from one airport to another. This does not depend on a flight plan, it still takes time for everything to happen. Yes, with a plan ASV knows the weather, but FS04 doesn't, until you are at your departure airport. It looks to me like things are working fine.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest miked1

Hi,Just to sort out the confusion about the correct weather settings in FS2004."the weather settings in fs2004 should be "user defined" correct?:"You should never go here, don't even need to go here, or click anything in fs2004 real weather.What should be selected. All weather has been disabled as per intallation instructions reference FSUIPC but which of the 3 choices Real world weather (static)Real world weather (updated every 15 minutes)User defined weatherandrate of change.One of the above 3 has to be selected, which one. If choice 2 is selected then the 15 minute updates will kill off ASV weather.I assumed that the 3rd choice was best....user defined.Thanks Mike

"Went to lunch,came back started a flight of Hawaii and now no matter what weather I throw at it Im staying pegged again at my set 25fps?? Dont understand it but something happened cause Im back to what my performance should be. Just to clarifi, the weather settings in fs2004 should be "user defined" correct? Thanks for the help and tonight I will dig through the forums again."You must have been hungry and that affected your framerate. Everything works better on a full stomach - even ASV.Andy b